Saint Bendt's Church (Skt. Bendts Kirke) in Ringsted, Denmark
|• City||295.48 km2 (114.09 sq mi)|
|Elevation||54 m (177 ft)|
|Area code(s)||(+45) 57|
Tourism and transport
Ringsted is one of Denmarks busiest transit cities. The city is located in the very middle of Zealand, connecting both the southern parts of Zealand as well as Funen and Jutland with the Copenhagen area.
- Danish Tramway Museum of Skjoldenæsholm, near Jystrup.
- Ringsted Station, served by both DSB domestic trains and international (EuroCity) services to Hamburg: frequent services to Copenhagen, Nykøbing Falster and Odense, although not all trains to Jutland stop at Ringsted — the bus station is in front of the railway station.
- St. Bendt's Church — a Romanesque, former Benedictine, abbey church containing numerous tombs of medieval Danish royalty.
Ringsted was the site of Sjællands Landsting (lit. Zealand's county thing) during the Middle Ages, which in 1584 moved to St. Bendt's church and became known as Sjællandsfar Landsting. In 1805 it moved to Copenhagen and was renamed Østre Landsret, and is still active under this name.
The town arms goes back to 1421. There has been much discussion about what it portrays. The traditional answer is at the top the hand of God and under that Virgin Mary with Jesus surrounded by three figures that worship her. The city officially interprets the three figures as Saint Canute Lavard, King Eric Plovpenning, and Saint Benedict of Nursia.
The church was consecrated in 1170. In front of the church is the spacious town square leading to the shopping streets with shops and boutiques for every taste.
Ringsted features two shopping centers named RingStedet and Premier Outlets Center. Ringsted also has a wide selection of cafes and restaurants, as well as a local brewery.
During the summer months, a mobile tourist office is opened in the town square.
- Jørgen Roed (1808–1888), painter
- Poul Ruders (composer), composer
- P.C. Skovgaard (1817–1875), paonter
- Gyöngyös - Hungary
- Halden - Norway
- Kutná Hora - Czech Republic
- Ringsted, Iowa, USA
- Skövde - Sweden
- Vammala - Finland