Ringwood railway station, Melbourne
Westbound view in May 2014
|Address||Railway Place, Ringwood|
|Distance||25.76 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Opened||1 December 1882|
|Station status||Premium station|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
Ringwood railway station is the junction station for the Lilydale and Belgrave lines in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Ringwood opening on 1 December 1882. It was upgraded to a Premium station on 31 July 1996.
A disused signal box is located on Platforms 1 and 2. Signals are currently controlled from within the station building on Platform 3. Stabling sidings are located at the northern end of the station.
Platform 1 is a recent addition to the station, being built in 1999. Prior to this the track on the now-platform 1 side was used as a siding which continued along to the Wantirna Road bridge.
Ringwood is to receive a $66 million upgrade with a completion date of 2016. The work will include a new footbridge, lifts, reconfigured bus interchange, CCTV and heritage work on the station buildings. The station buildings themselves will not be significantly altered as they are heritage listed.
Facilities, platforms & services
Ringwood has one island platform (platforms 1 & 2) and one side platform (platform 3) linked by a footbridge. Both platforms feature customer service windows and semi-enclosed waiting areas with platform 3 also featuring toilets and a kiosk. The bus interchange is located outside platform 3.
- Lilydale line: services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: services to Belgrave
McKenzie's Tourist Services operates one route via Ringwood station:
Transdev Melbourne operate five routes via Ringwood station:
- 271: to Box Hill Central Shopping Centre
- 364: to Warrandyte
- 366: to Croydon station
- 367: to Croydon station
- 901: Frankston station - Melbourne Airport
- 906: to Lonsdale Street City
Ventura Bus Lines operate two routes to and from Ringwood station:
In February 1908 EE class steam locomotive 478 overran the buffer stops at the Wantirna Road siding, derailed and toppled down the embankment, ending up level with the road.
On 12 July 1992, a Comeng overshot the same siding as per the 1908 accident, with leading car 392M crashing through and stopping on top of the buffer stops right near the edge of the Wantirna Road bridge.
- Ringwood Vicsig
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail (Australian Railway Historical Society): page 310. October 1997.
- "Works". Newsrail (Australian Railway Historical Society): page 249. August 1999.
- Ringwood Station and Interchange Upgrade Department of Transport, Planning & Local Infrastructure
- Ringwood Station and Interchange Upgrade Public Transport Victoria
- Ringwood Railway Station On my Doorstep
- Lilydale Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Belgrave Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 684 Eildon - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 271 Box Hill - Ringwood timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 364 Warrandyte - Ringwood timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 366 Ringwood - Croydon timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 367 Ringwood - Croydon timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 906 City - Warrandyte Bridge timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 670 Ringwood - Swingburne University timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 679 Chirnside Park Shopping Centre - Ringwood timetable Public Transport Victoria
- One of Metro's newest trains crashes through fence at Ringwood Herald Sun