Rio Mesa High School
|Rio Mesa High School|
Once a Spartan, always a Spartan
|545 Central Avenue
|Color(s)||Red and Black |
|Athletics conference||Pacific View|
|Website||RMHS Official website|
Rio Mesa High School is located in Oxnard, California and is within the Oxnard Union High School District. It serves the Oxnard communities of Northern Oxnard, River Park, Nyeland Acres, and El Rio, as well as the western portion of the city of Camarillo. The name "Rio Mesa" was conceived by then trustee board member Robert (Bob) Matthews derived from the two original school districts that fed the school in 1965—Rio School District and Mesa Union—though it now takes students from the Pleasant Valley School District as well. The school is surrounded by the Oxnard Plain strawberry fields.
The Spartan Marching Band
This year (2010–2011) the Rio Mesa Marching Band & Colorguard is directed by Mr. Mark Petrowsky, with Drum Major Daniel Balderrama.
Rio Mesa Championships
CIF Football - 1971 Rio Mesa (Div A) John Reardon 28-20 Paso Robles PVL Wrestling- 2010 5-1
Track and Field - Coach Brian Fitzgerald has an outstanding record coaching sprinters. Angela Burnham, Marion Jones and Valexsia Droughn each won the prestigious 100 meters at the CIF California State Meet, with Burnham adding the 100 and 200 meters titles while leading the team to the girl's team in 1991. Jones also won multiple titles, including both sprints 4 years in a row, completed after transferring out of the program for her junior year. Jones went on to future worldwide fame and disrepute. Both Burnham and Jones were named the national Girl's "High School Athlete of the Year" by Track and Field News twice. Both were also named Gatorade Player of the Year. In 2000, Porchea Carroll, came within a few thousandths of a second of also winning the state 100 meters title. In 2012, Rio Mesa came with 3 thousands of a second of sweeping both boy's relay events at the CIF California State Meet, winning the 4x400 metres relay and losing the 4x100 metres relay in the last step of the race. Blake Selig, Darion Zimmerman and Cameron Roach ran on both teams, Anthony Teart ran the 4x400, while Roderick White led off the 4x100.
- Bobby Ayala : (1987) former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Mike and Bob Bryan: (1996) Professional tennis players who combined for eight Grand Slam titles
- Justin De Fratus: (2005)Major League Baseball pitcher for the Philadelphia Philles
- Dave England : (1987) Appeared in the MTV series Jackass, as well as the films Jackass: The Movie, Jackass: Number Two, and Jackass 3D.
- Scott Fujita : (1997) Former New Orleans Saints linebacker
- Ross Harris : (1997) is an American actor, artist, and musician.
- Randy "Scott" Holman: (1975) former Major League Baseball pitcher - New York Mets 1983 - 1984
- Marion Jones: former world champion track and field athlete, disqualified from the Olympics
- Charlie Kimball: Indy Car Driver. First professional driver with type 1 diabetes.
- Michael Lee: Producer and keyboardist for Meredith Brooks and Melissa Etheridge
- Michele Serros: (1984) Author
- Kevin Thomas: (2005) Former Indianapolis Colts cornerback
- Blake Wingle: (1978)former NFL offensive guard
- Dmitri Young: (1991) former Major League Baseball player
- "California State Meet Results - 1915 to present". Hank Lawson. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archive/HSAOYs.pdf Track and Field News High School AOY