Rio Salado College
|Rio Salado College|
|Motto||Take the Next Step|
|Academic staff||22 Faculty, 1400 Adjunct Faculty |
|Location||Tempe, Arizona, United States of America|
Rio Salado College is a community college headquartered in Tempe, Arizona. It is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and offers associate degree and certificate programs in online, in-person, and hybrid formats.
Rio Salado College was founded in 1978 as one of 10 Maricopa Community Colleges. At the time, the college offered remote classrooms in 180 facilities throughout the Valley of the Sun. Rio Salado College offered its first online classes in 1996 and by 2006 had converted a majority of its course offerings to an online format. The school is recognized as a leader in higher education innovation, specializing in online education and distance learning.
The administrative headquarters of Rio Salado College are in Tempe, Arizona. Rio Salado relocated from its original location in Phoenix to Tempe in 1996. The Tempe location houses three main buildings: The Conference Center at Rio, the Tower at Rio, and the Rio at Hohokam administrative building.
Rio Salado College is affiliated with 15 physical locations across Maricopa county including 11 RSC locations, two Communiversities, SPOT 127 Youth Media Center and the East Valley Veterans Education Center. Services and hours of operation vary by location. The college also provides educational services through its incarcerated re-entry program at ASPC-Lewis and ASPC-Perryville.
School of Dental Hygiene
The Rio Salado College School of Dental Hygiene offers the highest accredited dental hygiene program in the state of Arizona. The school has been training students since 1998. It is a partnership between Rio Salado College, The Arizona Dental Association and Delta Dental Insurance. The School of Dental Hygiene moved from the West Valley to its current location at the Tempe HQ in 2012.
Awards and recognition
One of Eight Highly Productive Higher-Education Institutions in, Winning by Degrees, a report which profiles cost effective best practices by McKinsey & Company 
Recognized by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for innovative delivery of postsecondary education in the HCM Strategists report,"Beating the Odds:What It Means and Why It's important"
Recognized by Forbes magazine as a "Visionary Higher-Education Leader."
Featured in Focus Magazine for "Using High Tech Tools to Open Doors."
- , Bustamante, C. Nov.16, 2011 Community College Times, The risks and rewards of online learning.
- , Maricopa County Community College District (2012), Maricopa Timeline
- , Noer,M., Aug 3, 2011, Forbes, Maximizing your College Investment, page 2.
- "Locations". Rio Salado College Office of Institutional Advancement. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "RSC Dental Clinic". Rio Salado College Office of Institutional Advancement.
- "Winning by Degrees: The strategies of highly productive higher-education institutions". McKinsey and Company. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "2011 WINNERS OF THE ALFRED P. SLOAN AWARDS FOR BUSINESS EXCELLENCE IN WORKPLACE FLEXIBILITY". When Work Works. Families and Work Institute. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "2012 WINNERS OF THE ALFRED P. SLOAN AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN WORKPLACE EFFECTIVENESS AND FLEXIBILITY". When Work Works. Families and Work Institute.
- "Beating the Odds: What it means and why it's important". HCM Strategists.
- Noer, Michael. "Maximizing Your College Investment". Forbes Online. Forbes. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Noted 'college without walls' uses high-tech tools to open doors". Focus Magazine. The Lumina Foundation. Retrieved 19 April 2013.