The Rio de Janeiro Open (more commonly known as Rio 500) is an ATP Tour affiliated tennis tournament that will be held between February 15 and February 23 of 2014 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The tournament was played originally as Banespa Open from 1989 to 1990 on indoor carpet courts and will be revived for 2014, this time as part of the ATP World Tour 500 and WTA International in place of the U.S. National Indoor Tennis Championships, which was relegated to ATP 250 status. The Rio Open 500 will be held on clay courts at the Jockey Club Brasileiro. It is the highest ranked tournament in South America since the Grand Prix era.
The ATP world number one Rafael Nadal, as well as 2013 French Open runner-up David Ferrer, have been confirmed to participate at the revived 2014 tournament.
- ^ http://extra.globo.com/esporte/atp-500-do-rio-de-janeiro-tem-data-local-premiacao-confirmadas-7948067.html
- ^ "Tennis: Steffi Graf beat Arantxa Sanchez 6-3, 6-2 and...". Chicago Tribune. April 16, 1989. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
"Mattar, Sznajder Reach Rio De Janeiro Tennis Final". Seattle Times. April 8, 1990. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- ^ Rio to host ATP-WTA event - ESPN, AP, 27 March 2013
- ^ Rio Open Added To 2014 Calendar - WTA, 26 March 2013
- ^ Confident Rafael Nadal set to return to South America | Tennis - News, NDTVSports.com, 17 September 2013