Risida is a place located in the district of Kalahandi, Odisha, India at 20.14633 North Latitude and 83.06109 East longitude. It is located on the Tel River basin at the quadra-junction of Kalahandi, Balangir, Boudh, and Kandhamal. Since the British Rule Risida has developed into a commercial and educational centre. This place has hundreds of marketing stalls. Risida is 84 kilometres from Bhawanipatna, the district headquarters of Kalahandi and 450 kilometres from Bhubaneswar. A large weekly market called Hat is organised on Saturday. About 55,000 people gather on that day. The speciality of the Hat is cattle market.
Risida (in Oriya : rICIwA A)is a cluster of three revenue villages of Risida Kumbharpada, Risida Kandhapada and Salandiamunda. Name ‘Risida’ has been derived from the sage (Rishi) Rusabha. It was a place where the hermitage of Rusabha* was situated. The copper plates mentions the ‘Telipadar’ of Risida. Telipadar was a settlement of Fourth Century A.D. During the British Rule, the King of Kalahandi Udit Deo came to Risida for land survey in 1883.He divided Risida into three revenue settlements headed by a Gauntia (head of the village for revenue collection). Now it is in the Karlamunda Block of Kalahandi district, Odisha.
Risida is located at the coordination of It’s average elevation is about 160 m. It is located in the Tel River basin. The hills of Bhalu dunguri and Aden dunguri (hill) are situated in the north-western border of the village. They form a picturesque landscape.
How to reach
- By Road: Risida is well connected to district headquarters Bhawanipatna(80 km),Kesinga(40 km),Bolangir(52 km) by bus.
- By Rail: Nearest railway station Kesinga(40 km), Bolangir(52 km).
- By Air route: Nearest Airport Visakhapatnam and Bhubneswar.
Areas of Risida
- Kumbhar Para
- kandha Para
According to 2001 Risida consisting of three revenue villages has a population of 3535 (which 1826 male 1709 female). Scheduled caste constitutes 26.2% where as scheduled tribes contributes 12.98 to the total population.
Risida celebrates Nuakhai, Rathyatra, Dussehra, Ram Navami
- Bapuji Mini Stadium- It is the only mini-stadium in Karlamunda Block in Kalahandi district. It has a total field area of 3 acres 16 decimals. This stadium witnesses different block level matches.
The Society for Sports and Culture organises football and cricket matches at different levels every year. Mr. Laxmi Prasad seth, Mr. Lalit mohan Das (Tulu), Mr. Jagadish Bhoi take active role in organising the matches.
Ramaleela is a common cultural show organized since the day of Ram Navami (Birth day of Lord Rama) About fourteen days cultural shows on different stories of Lord Rama are presented in dramatic forms. The Ramakrushna Sanskrutik Sansad and Sri Jagannath Sansad organize these show.
Society for Sports and Culture organises different cultural activities and programmes of different levels.
- J K Mahavidyalaya (+2 College)
- J D College.
- Bapuji High School
- Girls High School.
- Sri Aurobindo Integral Education Centre
- Saraswati Sishu Vidya Mandir
- Government Hospital
- Veterinary Hospital
Government and non-government institutions
- Police Out Post
- Sub-Post Office
- Junior Irrigation, Utei MIP
- Revenue Inspector’s Office
Bank and marketing centres
A number of marketing stalls are located at Risida. A weekly periodic market is organized on Saturday which gathers about 72,000 people. The speciality of the market is “ Cattle Market”. Risida has United Commercial Bank, a nationalized bank of India. It has also a customer service centre of the State Bank of India.
Temples and other holy places
- Sri jagannath Temple
- Sri ram mandir
- Sri Dhabaleswar Baba Temple
- Sri Radhakrushna Mandir
- Matrupuri:Place associated with the vision of The Mother & Sri Aurobindo
- Satya Sanatana Ashram
- A Press Club(Karlamunda Block Press Club)also runs from Risida mostly with journalists like Rajib Lochan Rana, Mr. Kambupani sahoo, Mr. Narottam Selma and others.
Belkhandi is among the most famous tourist places of Kalahandi, nearer to Risida (11 km)located at the confluence of The Tel and Utei rivers. A number of NGO are working at Risida. They are Matrupuri Karyalaya, All India Union, Society for Sports and Culture, Sri Jagannath Sanskrutik sansad, Sri ramakrishna Sanskrutik Sansad.
Transport and Communication:
Risida is well connected by roadways. regular buses are plying from Bhawanipatna, Balangir, Baliguda, Bargarh and kesinga. Kesinga (42 km) and Balangir (52 km) are the nearest rail stations of the East Coast Railways.
- "Risida Pin Code, Risida , Kalahandi Map , Latitude and Longitude , Odisha". Indiamapia.com. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Matrupuri Risida. "MATRUPURI : An Organisation Devoted for the Realisation of Sri Aurobindo's Vision of Future". Matrupuri.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
Rajib Lochan Rana : " Risida Sanskruti"
- Rajib Lochan Rana : " Risida Sanskruti"