Rising Sun, Indiana
|City of Rising Sun|
Ohio County courthouse in Rising Sun
Location in the state of Indiana
|• Mayor||April Hautman|
|• Total||1.57 sq mi (4.07 km2)|
|• Land||1.45 sq mi (3.76 km2)|
|• Water||0.12 sq mi (0.31 km2) 7.64%|
|Elevation||502 ft (153 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,261|
|• Density||1,589.0/sq mi (613.5/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0449718|
Rising Sun is located at .(38.949867, -84.856782)
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 1.57 square miles (4.1 km2), of which 1.45 square miles (3.8 km2) (or 92.36%) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.31 km2) (or 7.64%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,304 people, 1,004 households, and 591 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,589.0 inhabitants per square mile (613.5 /km2). There were 1,124 housing units at an average density of 775.2 per square mile (299.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.8% White, 0.7% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 0.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.8% of the population.
There were 1,004 households of which 26.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.2% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 41.1% were non-families. 36.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.90.
The median age in the city was 43.9 years. 19.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.1% were from 25 to 44; 29.1% were from 45 to 64; and 19.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.7% male and 52.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,470 people, 1,034 households, and 645 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,664.4 people per square mile (644.4/km²). There were 1,119 housing units at an average density of 754.0 per square mile (291.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.02% White, 0.97% African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.04% from other races, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.73% of the population.
There were 1,034 households out of which 29.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.0% were married couples living together, 10.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.6% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 21.1% from 45 to 64, and 18.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 89.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,750, and the median income for a family was $46,731. Males had a median income of $35,213 versus $23,438 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,221. 10.3% of the population and 7.0% of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 12.1% are under the age of 18 and 15.1% are 65 or older.
- List of cities and towns along the Ohio River
- Blue Jeans (play) - popular play in 1890s and later a film, is set in Rising Sun.
- "Places: Indiana". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- History of Dearborn and Ohio Counties, Indiana. Chicago: F. E. Weakley & Company. 1885. p. 448. "In the year 1807 John James, from Frederick County, Md., settled at Lawrenceburgh, and two years later exchanged his lands located there, with Col. Chambers for the land on which Rising Sun now stands."
- "History". City of Rising Sun, Indiana. 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Wissing, Douglas (Mar 1, 2001). Indiana. Globe Pequot. p. 14. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- City of Rising Sun, Indiana – official website
- Ohio County Convention, Tourism & Visitors Commission
- The Rising Sun Recorder