|Single by Massive Attack|
|from the album Mezzanine|
|Released||6 August 1997|
|Format||CD, 12'', cassette|
|Recorded||1997 at Massive Attack and Christchurch Studios, Bristol|
|Genre||Trip hop, electronica|
|Writer(s)||Robert del Naja, Grantley Marshall, Andrew Vowles|
|Massive Attack singles chronology|
Background and composition
The music video for Risingson stars all the participating musicians in Mezzanine, excluding guest singers. They are all in a house while a gimped man with a chainsaw is outside the house. Robert del Naja walks to a window to investigate the man, who is on the other side of the window, but he soon disappears as Del Naja spots him. Del Naja walks and leaves to head upstairs, until he notices the man again and decides to jump down the stairs. He tries to find the man's approximate location outside, but he is already sawing the back door down, near where Mushroom is located. He walks inside and follows Mushroom. Daddy G then walks to the front door and leaves the house, while Del Naja is in another room and spots another person outside climbing the walls. He sits down when there is an explosion behind him.
Along with all the other music videos released with Mezzanine, the video was directed by Walter Stern.
Reception for the song was positive. John Bush of Allmusic described the song as "a dense, dark feature for Massive Attack themselves (on production as well as vocals), with a kitchen sink's worth of dubby effects and reverb. "
- Robert Del Naja – vocals, producer, arrangements, programming, keyboards, samples, art direction, design
- Grantley Marshall – vocals, producer, arrangements, programming, keyboards, samples
- Andrew Vowles – producer, arrangements, programming, keyboards, samples
- Neil Davidge – producer, arrangements, programming, keyboards, samples
- Angelo Bruschini – guitars
- Jon Harris, Bob Locke, Winston Blisset – bass guitars
- Andy Gangadeen – drums
- Dave Jenkins, Michael Timothy – additional keyboards
- Jan Kybert – ProTools
- Lee Shepherd – engineer (Massive Attack and Christchurch Studios)
- Mark "Spike" Stent – mixing (Olympic Studios)
- Jan Kybert, Paul "P-Dub" Walton – assistant mixing
- Tim Young – editing, engineer (Metropolis Studios)
|UK Singles Chart||11|
|Recording Industry Association of New Zealand (RIANZ)||30|
|Ultratop 50 (Belgium Flanders region)||43|
- Hanson, Amy. "Massive Attack - Risingson". Allmusic. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Massive Attack - Risingson". Virgin Records. YouTube. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Bush, John. "Mezzanine - Massive Attack". Allmusic. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Massive Attack". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Discography Massive Attack". charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Dutch. "Discografie Massive Attack". ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved 29 November 2012.