Rita Jeptoo (born 15 February 1981 in Eldoret) is a Kenyan marathon runner. She won the 2006 Boston Marathon, with a time of 2:23:38 hours. She won the 2013 Boston Marathon in a time of 2:26:25, and the 2013 Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:19:57, which is her current personal best. She has also won marathons in Stockholm and Milan, as well as having represented Kenya in the event at the 2007 World Championships in Athletics. She was the bronze medallist at the 2006 IAAF World Road Running Championships.
Jeptoo won the 2004 Stockholm Marathon, her first marathon race, and then took a consecutive victory at the Milan Marathon. She finished third in the 2005 Turin Marathon and seventh at the 2005 World Championships. The next year she competed over shorter distances, taking the title at the Paris Half Marathon and winning the bronze medal at the 2006 World Road Running Championships.
In 2006 she set a personal best time of 2:23:38 winning the Boston Marathon, she was fourth at the New York City Marathon that same year. In 2007, she finished fourth in Boston, attempting to defend her title, and was quoted as saying, "I never felt good in the cold. I couldn't get my body in a rhythm." She won the Lisbon Half Marathon and Paris Half Marathon that year, later going on to take seventh place in the marathon at the 2007 World Championships in Athletics. She ended her 2007 with a new course record at the Obudu Ranch International Mountain Race, earning US$50,000 as a result.
She won the Portugal Half Marathon in 2008. She was among the leading runners at the Boston and New York marathons that season, finishing third and fourth respectively. She took time off from running for maternity leave from late 2008 onwards, returning to competition in 2011. The Rotterdam Marathon was her return marathon outing and she came fifth with a time of 2:28:09 hours. She ran her fastest marathon time since 2005 at the Frankfurt Marathon, taking fifth place after 2:25:44 hours.
Returning to the site of her 2006 win, she came sixth at the 2012 Boston Marathon. She came fourth at the Beach to Beacon 10K and Falmouth Road Race, but delivered her best performance in half a decade at the 2012 Chicago Marathon – a tight duel with Atsede Baysa in the latter stages of the race resulted in her narrowly finishing as runner-up but her time of 2:22:04 hours knocked over a minute and half off her six-year-old personal best.
She is married to Noah Busienei, a middle distance runner.
|2004||Stockholm Marathon||Stockholm, Sweden||1st||Marathon||2:35:14|
|Milan Marathon||Milan, Italy||1st||Marathon||2:28:11|
|2005||World Championships||Helsinki, Finland||7th||Marathon||2:24:22|
|2006||Paris Half Marathon||Paris, France||1st||Half marathon||1:09:56|
|Boston Marathon||Boston, United States||1st||Marathon||2:23:38|
|2007||Lisbon Half Marathon||Lisbon, Portugal||1st||Half marathon||1:07:05|
|2013||Boston Marathon||Boston, United States||1st||Marathon||2:26:25|
|2013||Chicago Marathon||Chicago, United States||1st||Marathon||2:19:57|
- Stockholm Marathon History 2004-2006 accessed August 10 2007
- Milan City Marathon 2004 accessed August 10 2007
- Turin Marathon History accessed August 10 2007
- Runner's World article by Toby Tanser - Russian Woman wins Boston accessed August 10 2007
- Paris Half Marathon - List of Winners
- Hughes, Danny (2007-11-24). Jeptoo, Awash cruise to Obudu Mountain victories. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-12-05.
- Jeptoo Sitienei Rita. Marathon Info. Retrieved on 2011-04-16.
- Mutuota, Mutwiri (2011-02-05). Mwangi and Lisoreng take Police XC titles. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-04-16.
- van Hemert, Wim (2011-04-10). Chebet impresses with 2:05:27 victory in Rotterdam. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-04-16.
- Butcher, Pat (2012-10-30). Kipsang tantalises with 2:03:42 World record assault in Frankfurt. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-02-19.
- Morse, Parker (2012-04-16). Korir and Cherop the best as warm weather slows Boston. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-04-26.
- Gugala, Jon (2012-10-07). Course record for Kebede, Baysa dethrones Shobukhova - Chicago Marathon report. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-02.
- Kabuu and Kipsang triumph in high-quality races at Ras al-Khaimah Half. IAAF (2013-02-15). Retrieved on 2013-03-02.
- Boston Marathon Runner Profile - Rita Jeptoo accessed August 10 2007