||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (December 2008)|
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
Rita Süssmuth (CDU), president of the German Bundestag 1988-1998
17 February 1937 |
|Known for||Federal Minister of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth 1985–1988
President of the Bundestag 1988–1998
From 1985 to 1988, Süssmuth was Federal Minister of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth under Chancellor Helmut Kohl. She was a member of the German Bundestag from 1987 to 2002. After the resignation of Philipp Jenninger in 1988 she became President of the Bundestag. She held the post until 1998, when the SPD became the strongest group in parliament.
From 1986 to 2001, Süssmuth was president of the Frauenunion (the organization of the female members of the CDU) and therefore had a strong influence in her party.
Süssmuth graduated as a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Münster in 1964. From 1966 until 1982, she was a faculty member in education at University of Dortmund, Ruhr University, and their predecessor institutions. Since 2005, she has been president of the OTA Hochschule, a private university in Berlin. In 2006 she was awarded the Magnus Hirschfeld Medal for Sexual Reform for her courageous and far-sighted HIV/AIDS politics whilst federal minister. In addition, she currently sits on the Advisory Board for the German Foundation for World Population. She is also Member of the European Council on Tolerance and Reconciliation established in 2008 to monitor tolerance in Europe and prepare recommendations to European governments and IGOs on fighting xenophobia and anti-semitism.
- Bildung als globale Herausforderung. Zwei Statements – ein Gespräch with Hermann Glaser, in: Robertson-von Trotha, Caroline Y. (ed.): Kultur und Gerechtigkeit (= Kulturwissenschaft interdisziplinär/Interdisciplinary Studies on Culture and Society, Vol. 2), Baden-Baden 2007, ISBN 978-3-8329-2604-5
- Michael F. Feldkamp (ed.), Der Bundestagspräsident. Amt - Funktion - Person. 16. Wahlperiode, München 2007, ISBN 978-3-7892-8201-0
- Media related to Rita Süssmuth at Wikimedia Commons
- Official biography at Bundestag.de (German, from 2002)
- Interview “Education is a human right” by ERSTE Stiftung (2011) 
|Federal Minister of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth
|This article about a German politician of the Christian Democratic Union is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|