Ritchie, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Ritchie
Neighbourhood
Ritchie is located in Edmonton
Ritchie
Ritchie
Location of Ritchie in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°30′43″N 113°28′59″W / 53.512°N 113.483°W / 53.512; -113.483
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 11
Sector[2] Mature area
Area[3] Strathcona
Government[4]
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Mike Nickel
Area[5]
 • Total 1.25 km2 (0.48 sq mi)
Elevation 672 m (2,205 ft)
Population (2012)[6]
 • Total 4,194
 • Density 3,355.2/km2 (8,690/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Increase11.5%
 • Dwellings 2,561

Ritchie is a residential neighbourhood in south east Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is named for the original owner of the Ritchie Mill and former mayor of the City of Strathcona.[7] The population of Ritchie enjoy good access to the nightlife of nearby Old Strathcona and the Mill Creek Ravine.

The neighbourhood is bounded on the north by Whyte Avenue, on the south by 72 Avenue, and on the east by the Mill Creek Ravine. The west boundary, south of 79 Avenue runs along 100 Street. North of 79 Avenue, the west boundary runs along 101 Street and 102 Street. Whyte Avenue provides good access to the University of Alberta. 99 Street, which passes through the neighbourhood, provides good access to the downtown core.

Ritchie Hall, September 2011

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Ritchie had a population of 4,194 living in 2,561 dwellings,[6] an 11.5% change from its 2009 population of 3,761.[8] With a land area of 1.25 km2 (0.48 sq mi),[5] it had a population density of 3,355.2 people/km2 in 2012.[6][5]

Residential development[edit]

According to the 2001 federal census, almost one in four (24.4%) of the residences in Ritchie were built prior to the end of World War II. Another one in three (35.6%) were built between the end of the war and 1960. One in ten (10.8%) were built during the 1960s and one in ten (9.5%) were built during the 1970s. One in eight (13.0%) were built after 1990.[9]

The most common type of residence in the neighbourhood, according to the 2005 municipal census, is the single-family dwelling. These account for three out of every five (60%) of the residences in the neighbourhood. Another one in three (32%) are rented apartments and apartment style condominiums in low-rise buildings with fewer than five stories. Most of the remaining residences are duplexes[10] (4%) and row houses (3%). Just over half of the residences (55%) are owner-occupied while the remaining 45% are rented.[11]

Population mobility[edit]

The population of Ritchie is comparatively mobile. According to the 2005 municipal census, approximately one in five (19.6%) residents had moved within the previous twelve months. Another one in four (24%) had moved within the previous one to three years. Only two out of every five (42.4%) residents had lived at the same address for at least five years.[12]

Schools[edit]

There are three schools in Ritchie. Escuela Mill Creek School is an elementary International Spanish Academy operated by the Edmonton Public School Board (EPSB).[13] École Joseph-Moreau is a French Catholic junior high school operated by the Greater North Central Francophone Education Region No. 2. École Joseph-Moreau is housed in what was formerly the EPSB's Ritchie Junior High School.[14] The Learning Store on Whyte is a small outreach program for high school students operated by the EPSB. [15]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department. History of Annexations (Map).
  4. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 15, 2014. 
  5. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  6. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  7. ^ From the neighbourhood description in the City of Edmonton map utility
  8. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  9. ^ 2003 Federal Census, Period of Construction, Occupied Private Dwellings
  10. ^ Duplexes include triplexes and quadruplexes.
  11. ^ 2005 Municipal Census, Dwelling Unit by Structure Type and Ownership
  12. ^ 2005 Municipal Census, Length of Residence
  13. ^ "Escuela Mill Creek School". Edmonton Public Schools. Retrieved March 21, 2014. 
  14. ^ "Historique". École Joseph-Moreau. Conseil scolaire Centre-Nord. 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2014. 
  15. ^ "Learning Store on Whyte". Edmonton Public Schools. Retrieved 26 May 2014. 

External links[edit]