||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
|Born||12 January 1944
|Occupation||Author, broadcaster, historian, journalist.|
Ritchie Yorke is an Australian-born author, broadcaster, historian and music journalist. He has written biographies on Led Zeppelin and Van Morrison and also written for publications including Billboard, Circus, Jazz & Pop, Los Angeles Free Press, Los Angeles Times, Melody Maker, Miss Chatelaine, Modern Hi-Fi, Mojo, New Musical Express, Ottawa Journal, Rolling Stone and TV Week.
In 1966 Yorke moved from Brisbane to London where he managed the international promotions for Chris Blackwell of Island Records. He later moved to Toronto, Canada to work for the Toronto Telegram before being appointed the first full-time rock writer for Canada's national newspaper, The Globe and Mail in Toronto. He was named Canadian Journalist of the Year (Juno Music Awards, Toronto) in 1972 and co-published the short-lived Rainbow magazine in the early 1970s.
In 1986 Yorke returned to Brisbane and began writing for the Brisbane Sunday Mail in 1987; in mid-2008, he returned to Canada.
Books by Ritchie Yorke
- Lowdown On The English Pop Scene, Horwitz, 1967.
- Axes Chops & Hot Licks (The Canadian Rock Music Scene), Hurtig Publishers, 1972.
- Into The Music: The Van Morrison Biography, Charisma Books, 1975.
- The Led Zeppelin Biography, Methuen Publications, 1976.
- The History Of Rock ‘n’ Roll, Methuen Publications, 1976. (ISBN 0-8467-0186-3).
- Led Zeppelin: The Definitive Biography, Virgin Books, 1991.
Contributions by Ritchie Yorke
- Montreux Jazz, Editions de la Tour, Lausanne SA, 1976. (ISBN 2851089765).
- The Ballad Of John And Yoko, M. Joseph/Rolling Stone Publishers, 1982. (ISBN 0718122089)
- A Little Bull Goes A Long Way, Pennon Publishing, 2001. (ISBN 1-877029-01-7)
- Memories Of John, Harper Collins, 2005.(ISBN 0060594551).
- Rock Country, Hardie Grant Books, 2013. (ISBN 978-174270521-7).
- B.B. King - The Electric…Best Of (1968)
- King Curtis - The Best Of (1968)
- Kim Fowley - Good Clean Fun (1968)
- Aretha Franklin - Soul ’69 (1969)
- Jerry Butler - Ice On Ice (1969)
- Tony Joe White - … Continued (1969)
- The Cycle – The Cycle (1969)
- Big Mama Thornton – The Way It Is (1969)
- Carla Thomas - The Best Of (1969)
- The Beatles - In the Beginning (1970)
- Simon Caine - Simon Caine (1970)
- Waldo De Los Rios – Sinfonias (1970)
- Miguel Ríos - A Song of Joy (1970)
- King Biscuit Boy & Crowbar - Official Music (1970)
- Edward Bear - Bearings (1970)
- Etta James - Peaches (1971)
- Pepper Tree – You're My People (1971)
- Neil Sedaka – Emergence (1971)
- King Biscuit Boy - Gooduns (1971)
- Leigh Ashford - Kinfolk (1971)
- Various – Maple Music Vol.1 (1972)
- Frank Mills - Reflections Of My Childhood (1972)
- Cathy Young – Travel Stained (1973/2009)
- Miguel Ríos – Memorias De Un Ser Humano (1974)
- The Sweet – The Ballroom Blitz & More Sweet Hits (1992)
- The Mamas And The Papas – All Time Greatest Hits (1994)
- Tina Charles – Tina Charles (1996)
- Nik Phillips - Songs From The Fourth Floor (2005)
- Normie Rowe - Necessarily So…The Definitive Collection (2007)
- Katie Noonan - Blackbird (2008)
- Billboard Magazine, "Canada's Juno Awards: An Appraisal" 7 April 1973, p. 56
- Steensma, Fran n.d.,Procol Harum, Edmonton 1971, in four parts