Rival Sons on stage, April 2013
|Origin||Long Beach, California, United States|
|Genres||Blues rock, hard rock, rock, rock and roll|
Rival Sons is an American rock band from Long Beach, California.
In 2008 guitarist Scott Holiday, drummer Michael Miley and bassist Robin Everhart formed the band. Miley had heard of singer Jay Buchanan before. They contacted him through MySpace and after a failed attempt, they were able to convince him to join the band.
The band quickly signed with Atlantic Records, although they left shortly afterwards. Being without a label, they digitally self-released their first album Before the Fire in 2009. Jack Rivera of Huffington Post declared them the “Rock Band to Watch” in November 2009.
In 2010 Rival Sons made a name for themselves by supporting acts such as AC/DC, Alice Cooper and Kid Rock and by performing a televised show at The Indianapolis 500. The British metal label Earache Records showed interest in the band. Liking the idea of “bending the rules” by signing to a traditionally death metal label, they signed with them in Autumn 2010.
In February 2011 they released their self-titled EP on iTunes, soon to be followed by the full-length album Pressure & Time in June 2011. The cover of Pressure & Time was designed by renowned cover artist Storm Thorgerson (the man behind Pink Floyd’s famous Dark Side Of The Moon prism design). The album was written, recorded and mixed within 20 days in Los Angeles, California, immediately after a tour. According to the band, Before The Fire was written and produced in the same way.
With Pressure & Time on international turntables, the band went on to play festivals like Sonisphere, T in the Park, Rock Werchter and Arras. They also supported Judas Priest in July 2011. This was followed in November by their first full-length European tour, during which they sold out every UK show, as well as several shows across Europe. The year also saw live TV appearances in Germany (‘Die Harald Schmidt Show’ and ‘neoParadise’) and America. At the annual Classic Rock Awards the band played an acoustic set. They rounded off the year by being voted ‘Best New Band’ by listeners of Planet Rock radio, while Pressure & Time was voted the No. 2 Album of the Year by Classic Rock Magazine.
In February 2012 they went into Honey Pye studios in Nashville, Tennessee, again for only 20 days, to record their next album with Dave Cobb and Vance Powell, before heading to Europe on another mostly sold-out tour. The album Head Down was released in September, gaining many positive reviews from renowned magazines, such as Classic Rock Magazine. Another tour, this time completely sold-out, followed in September and October. Rival Sons finished the year by winning the ‘Breakthrough Act of the Year’ award at the Classic Rock Awards and the ‘Best New Band’ award in Planet Rock’s user poll.
They began 2013 with a short tour of the USA and Canada, before moving on to Europe for another tour across the UK and the continent.
On August 2, 2013, Scott Holiday announced via Facebook that Robin Everhart has left the band due to the rigors inherent in being in a touring band. The split was amicable. Robin was replaced by David Beste on bass for the remaining two dates of the Rival Sons' European Tour, as well as for their USA tour that fall.
- Current members
Jay Buchanan- lead vocals, harmonica (2008–present)
Scott Holliday- lead guitar (2008–present)
Mike Miley- drums (2008–present)
- Past members
Robin Everhart- bass (2008–2013)
- Touring musicians
David Beste- bass (2013-present)
|Year||Album details||Chart peak||Certification|
|2009||Before the Fire
|2011||Pressure & Time
- Rival Sons - EP (2011)
|2011||"Pressure and Time"||48||4||—||Pressure & Time|
|2012||"All Over the Road"||—||—||—|
|"Company Man/Life for this Road"||—||—||—|
|"Face of Light"||—||20||—|
|"Keep On Swinging"||—||1||34||Head Down|
|2013||"Until The Sun Comes"||—||5||—|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
- Rock Band to Watch: Rival Sons
- New Signings Rival Sons to support Kid Rock
- Rival Sons to rock Indy 500
- Judas Priest, Queensryche and Rival Sons live
- Rival Sons - Head Down Review, Metalmouth.net
- Rival Sons win Classic Rock Breakthrough Artist Award
- NorwegianCharts.com Roval Sons discography
- SwedishCharts.com Rival Sons discography
- "Suche - Rival Sons". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Rival Sons - Head Down UK". officialcharts.com. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Rival Sons - Pressure & Time". uk-charts.com. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Rival Sons - Head Down". uk-charts.com. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Suche nach: rival sons". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Recherche pour: rival sons". lescharts.com. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Zoeken naar: rival sons". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Search for: rival sons". finnishcharts.com. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Rival Sons - Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- Rock, Canadian. "Canadian Active Rock & Alt Rock Chart Archive: Active Rock - February 7, 2012". Canadianrockalt.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Rock, Canadian. "Canadian Active Rock & Alt Rock Chart Archive: Active Rock - March 13, 2012". Canadianrockalt.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Rock, Canadian. "Canadian Active Rock & Alt Rock Chart Archive: Active Rock - August 21, 2012". Canadianrockalt.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Rock, Canadian. "Canadian Active Rock & Alt Rock Chart Archive: Active Rock - January 22, 2013". Canadianrockalt.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- "Rival Sons' Chart History on Billboard charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2013-06-20.