River Grove, Illinois
|River Grove, Illinois|
|Motto: "Village of Friendly Neighbors"|
|Area||2.39 sq mi (6 km2)|
|- land||2.39 sq mi (6 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||4,279.1 / km2 (11,083 / sq mi)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: River Grove, Illinois|
River Grove is located at (41.925830, -87.840135).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 2.39 square miles (6.2 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,668 people, 4,404 households, and 2,765 families residing in the village. The population density was 4,470.4 people per square mile (1,723.4/km²). There were 4,502 housing units at an average density of 1,886.5 per square mile (727.3/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 92.25% White, 0.36% African American, 0.29% Native American, 2.03% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 3.65% from other races, and 1.37% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.78% of the population.
There were 4,404 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.2% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.2% were non-families. 31.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the village the population was spread out with 21.3% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 22.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 93.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.2 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $40,050, and the median income for a family was $48,022. Males had a median income of $37,279 versus $26,781 for females. The per capita income for the village was $20,390. About 5.4% of families and 5.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.6% of those under age 18 and 6.6% of those age 65 or over.
The hot dog stand Gene's & Jude's is located on Grand Avenue and Des Plaines River Road, specializing in a variation of Chicago-style hot dogs. In 2011, in a competition of 64 stands across the country, it was chosen by the magazine Every Day with Rachael Ray and the food blog Serious Eats as the best hot dog in America.
Follett, a book services company, is based in River Grove.
- Triton College, site of the Cernan Earth and Space Center planetarium
- Saint Cyprian Elementary School
- River Grove Elementary School
- Rhodes Elementary School
- Bethlehem Lutheran Elementary School
- Mother Guerin High School
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): River Grove village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places - Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "The Stew". Chicago Tribune. 2011-02-02. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: River Grove, Illinois|
||Franklin Park||O'Hare, Chicago||Dunning, Chicago|
|Franklin Park||Elmwood Park|
|Melrose Park||Melrose Park||River Forest|