River Heights, Winnipeg
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
River Heights is a community area in Winnipeg, Manitoba. It is located south of the Assiniboine River, west of Fort Rouge at Cambridge Street, east of Edgeland St. adjacent to Tuxedo, and north of the Canadian National Railways mainline. To the north of Academy Road is Wellington Crescent.
The land which is now River Heights was once part of the Parish of St. Boniface. It was annexed by the City of Winnipeg in 1882 though substantial development did not occur in the area until after World War I.
It was traditionally an Anglo-Saxon Protestant area, though today the area has a more diverse population, featuring a Jewish presence, which makes up 11% of the neighbourhood's population.
River Heights, along with West Fort Rouge, comprised the South End of the old City of Winnipeg. It was these areas which contributed the majority of the men and the money to form the Citizens Committee of 1000, the group which broke the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919.
In 2006, the population of River Heights was 56,505, has been constantly going down since 1971 when the population was 70,650, other than the 0.5% increase from 2001 to 2006. The median household income in River Heights is $47,646, slightly lower than the city-average at $49,790.
- 84.2% White
- 6.6% Aboriginal - 4.2% Metis, 2.2% First Nations
- 2.4% East Asian - 1.6% Chinese, 0.4% Korean, 0.4% Japanese
- 2.1% Black
- 2.0% Southeast Asian - 1.7% Filipino, 0.3% other Southeast Asian
- 1.1% South Asian
- 0.9% Latin American
- 0.2% Arab
- 0.1% West Asian
- 0.3% Other
- 0.2% Multiracial
Note: The latest available population statistics are from 2006, whereas the latest crime statistics are from 2012, so the rates might be off slightly.
River Heights statistically speaking, has lower crime rates in almost every crime compared to the city as a whole, but quite the opposite with the national rates. Even with that being said, it is not a dangerous area. For example, your chances of being robbed are only 0.2%, or 1 in 500. The crime in 2012 is as followed;
- Homicides; 2 homicides for a rate of 3.5 per 100,000 residents. 118.7% higher than the national rate, but the city-wide rate is 42.9% higher.
- Sexual Assault; 15 sexual assaults for a rate of 26.5 per 100,000 residents. The national rate is 137.4% higher, and the city-wide rate is 280% higher.
- Shootings; 0 shootings
- Robberies: 108 robberies for a rate of 191.1 per 100,000 residents. 140.7% higher than the national rate, but the city-wide rate is 30.9% higher.
- Break and Enters: 554 break and enters for a rate of 975.1 per 100,000 residents. 93.6% higher than the national rate, and 41.0% higher than the city-wide rate.
- Motor Thefts; 140 motor thefts for a rate of 247.8 per 100,000 residents. 10.9% higher than the national rate, but the city-wide rate is 32.0% higher.
But of course, River Heights is a community area with 17 neighborhoods, so the crime in each neighborhood differs.
|Common Crimes in River Heights Neighbourhoods (2012)|
|Neighbourhood||Population||Sexual Assaults||Rate||Robberies||Rate||Break & Enters||Rate||Motor Thefts||Rate|
|Central River Heights||3,145||0||0.0||1||31.8||49||1558.0||8||254.4|
|J. B. Mitchell||2,095||0||0.0||0||0.0||17||811.5||6||286.4|
|North River Heights||5,660||0||0.0||3||53.0||65||1148.4||4||70.7|
|Sir John Franklin||2,320||1||43.1||0||0.0||38||1637.9||5||215.5|
|South River Heights||2,585||0||0.0||0||0.0||28||1083.2||2||77.4|
Points of interest
- River Heights School
- Montrose Elementary School
- Brock-Corydon Elementary School
- J. B. Mitchell School
- Queenston Elementary School
- Robert H. Smith Elementary School
- Kelvin High School
- Grant Park High School
- St Mary's academy
- Pan Am Pool
- River Heights Community Club
- Sir John Franklin Community Club
- Academy Uptown Bowling Alley
Other points of interest
- River Heights Branch of the Winnipeg Public Library
According to the Winnipeg Census Profiles, River Heights is divided into two neighbourhood clusters; River Heights West and River Heights East, for a total of 17 neighbourhoods which include;
- Central River Heights
- Lord Roberts
- North River Heights
- South River Heights
- Grant Park
- Wellington Crescent
- Earl Grey
- J.B. Mitchell
- Sir John Franklin
- Law, government, and crime in Winnipeg#Crime Rates