River Road School
River Road School
River Road School in 2008
|Location||400 Riverside Avenue, Lyndhurst, New Jersey|
|Area||0.2 acres (0.081 ha)|
|Architectural style||Queen Anne|
|Governing body||Lyndhurst Historical Society|
|NRHP Reference #||77000844|
|Added to NRHP||November 11, 1977|
|Designated NJRHP||December 13, 1976|
The River Road School, is located in Lyndhurst, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. The schoolhouse was built in 1893 and is the home of the Lyndhurst Historical Society. The schoolhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 11, 1977.
A piece of land was donated on January 9, 1804 by Jacob Van Winkle for the construction of a school. The first schoolhouse was erected that year at a cost of $162.20. The first schoolhouse was replaced in 1849 by a two-story frame building. This second schoolhouse was torn down in 1893 and replaced by the current building at a cost of $2,541.83. The cupola and bell from the second schoolhouse were salvaged and added to the current schoolhouse.
Little Red Schoolhouse
The Lyndhurst Historical Society operates the building as the Little Red Schoolhouse, a museum of local history.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Bergen County, New Jersey
- Jacob W. Van Winkle House
- Jeremiah J. Yeareance House
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Bergen County". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. July 7, 2009. p. 11. Retrieved October 19, 2009.
- http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=6733 Accessed January 7, 2009.
- Lyndhurst History Accessed May 11, 2010.
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Jersey–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to the history of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|