Rivers and Tides (soundtrack)
|Rivers and Tides|
|Soundtrack album by Fred Frith|
|Label||Winter & Winter (Germany)|
|Fred Frith chronology|
Rivers and Tides: Working with Time is a soundtrack by English guitarist, composer and improvisor Fred Frith, of the 2001 Anglo-German documentary film, Rivers and Tides by Thomas Riedelsheimer about the British landscape sculptor Andy Goldsworthy.
Frith composed all the music for the soundtrack and incorporated sound clips of water from the film in the final mix. The music has been described as chamber and features Frith and a German trio of Karoline Höfler, Bernd Settelmeyer and Wolfgang Stryi.
In a review of the album, Allmusic had this to say of Frith: "Rivers and Tides demonstrates that Frith is not only a skewed pop genius and fearless improviser, but a remarkably empathetic soundtrack composer as well."
- "Part I" (Frith) – 10:08
- "Part II" (Frith) – 3:10
- "Part III" (Frith) – 2:22
- "Part IV" (Frith) – 1:25
- "Part V" (Frith) – 4:40
- "Part VI" (Frith) – 4:15
- "Part VII" (Frith) – 11:31
- "Part VIII" (Frith) – 3:20
- Fred Frith – guitar, samples, violin, piano, berimbao
- Karoline Höfler – double bass
- Bernd Settelmeyer – percussion
- Wolfgang Stryi – soprano saxophone, bass clarinet
Sound and art work
- Digitally recorded and mixed at Jankowski Tonstudio, Esslingen, Germany, July 8–9, 2002
- Engineered by Peter Hardt
- Digital re-mixing and mastering at Bauer Studios, Ludwigsburg, Germany, January 30–31, 2003
- Art and photography by Andy Goldsworthy
- Prints by Peter Postel
- Frith, Fred. (2003). Rivers and Tides [CD]. Winter & Winter.
- Westergaard, Sean. "Rivers and Tides: Working With Time". AllMusic.com. Retrieved 2007-02-13.
- Ramond, Michel; Roussel, Patrice; Vuilleumier, Stephane. "Discography of Fred Frith". New York Downtown Scene and Other Miscellaneous Discographies. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "Rivers and Tides". riversandtides.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-07-16.
- "Credits "Rivers and Tides"". riversandtides.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-07-16.
- Waxman, Ken. "Fred Frith, Rivers and Tides". Jazzword reviews. Retrieved 2008-07-16.