Riverside Health System
|Headquarters||Newport News, Virginia, USA|
|William B. Downey
Wade D. Broughman
Barry L. Gross, M.D.
Number of employees
|Slogan||The Leader in Lifelong Health|
Founded in 1916, Riverside Health System was originally established as a small hospital. The health system and each major facility in the organization are governed by a voluntary Board of Trustees of community leaders.
Riverside employs over 7,000 people in over 100 locations in the Greater Peninsula-Williamsburg region and Middle Peninsula-Northern Neck communities of eastern Virginia.
Riverside operates 1030 acute inpatient beds in four acute care hospitals, a psychiatric hospital and a physical rehabilitation hospital.
- Riverside Regional Medical Center (Newport News, VA)
- Riverside Walter Reed Regional Hospital, (Gloucester, VA)
- Riverside Tappahannock Hospital (Tappahannock, VA)
- Riverside Rehabilitation Institute (Hampton, VA)
- Riverside Behavioral Health Hospital (Hampton, VA)
- Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital (Nassawadox, VA)
- Riverside Doctors' Hospital Williamsburg (Williamsburg, VA)
The flagship of the organization is Riverside Regional Medical Center (RRMC) in Newport News, Va. RRMC provides a regional cancer treatment center, a regional radiosurgery center in partnership with the University of Virginia Health System and the area’s only Open Heart surgery program and the region’s Level II Trauma Center.
Riverside Medical Group
Riverside is evolving into a physician-led organization, having grown the Riverside Medical Group to over 325 physicians and providers connected to electronic medical records. Riverside was the only hospital in Virginia to be recognized with the Most Wired award in 2007.
Riverside Medical Group is the 2008 winner of the American Medical Group Association Preeminence Award care for exceptional leadership, innovation and vision, contributions to the advancement of quality, effective health care delivery practices and structure, and outstanding contributions to the local public community in which the healthcare organization is located.
Riverside Medical Group practices
- Ear, Nose & Throat - Physicians and Surgeons
- Hampton Roads Eye Associates
- Hampton Roads Neurosurgical & Spine Specialists
- Hampton Roads Surgical Specialists
- Hampton Roads Urology
- Riverside Gynecologic Oncology
Long-term Care Facilities
Riverside’s network provides nine long-term care facilities throughout eastern Virginia, totaling 1,028 beds with skilled, intermediate and home-for-adult services.
- The Gardens at Warwick Forest (Newport News, VA)
- Riverside Continuing Care - Hampton (Hampton, VA)
- Riverside Continuing Care - Mathews (Mathews, VA)
- Riverside Continuing Care - Saluda (Saluda, VA)
- Riverside Continuing Care - West Point (West Point, VA)
- Riverside Continuing Care - Smithfield (Smithfield, VA)
- Dogwood Manor at The Orchard (Warsaw, VA)
- Convalescent Center at Patriots Colony (Williamsburg, VA)
- Convalescent Center at Sanders (Gloucester, VA)
Other Riverside Facilities
Riverside has created three retirement communities, two wellness centers, an array of outpatient facilities, a Home Care organization as well as a Foundation designed to support worthy community initiatives.
Wellness and Fitness Centers
Riverside is also the center for medical education on the Virginia Peninsula, providing physician training with the Riverside Family Practice, Riverside Transitional and OB/GYN residency programs, and the Riverside School of Health Careers, established in 1916.