Riverside High School (New Jersey)
|Riverside High School|
|112 East Washington Street
Riverside, NJ 08075
|Type||public high school|
|School district||Riverside School District|
|Assistant principals||Buddy Micucci (Athletic Director)
Ryan Varga (Activities)
|Faculty||30.8 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||449 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.58:1|
|Athletics conference||Burlington County Scholastic League|
Riverside High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Riverside Township in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, as part of the Riverside School District.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 449 students and 30.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.58:1. There were 116 students (25.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 35 (7.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 301st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 281st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 298th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was the 266th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 316 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2006 cover story on the state's Top Public High Schools.
Riverside High School competes in the Burlington County Scholastic League (BCSL), which consists of nineteen public and non-public high schools covering Burlington County, Mercer County and Ocean County in Central Jersey, operating under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). The school mascot is the Ram and the colors are maroon and white.
Up until 1976, students from Delran Township - which partly encircles Riverside - used to attend the school. Because of its large student population at that time, in the high school grades, the school competed in Group III sports programs and was highly competitive with other large schools. Outside of its annual Thanksgiving Day game against Florence, the Rams also had ongoing rivalries with nearby Holy Cross High School, Cinnaminson Township High School, and Rancocas Valley Regional high school in Mount Holly. Since Delran Township attained its own high school and the high school grade population dropped at Riverside, the school mostly competes in Group I and some of those rivalries have ended.
The Rams football has not won a game in 4 years.
The Marching Rams
In 2003, the Riverside Marching Rams became Class 1 Champions in the EMBA marching circuit with their show "Color My World with Music." In 2004, the marching rams placed 3rd in United States Scholastic Band Association Group 1A Northern States Championships with their theme, "Disco Fever." In 2005, the marching rams placed 2nd in United States Scholastic Band Association Group 1A All States Championships with their theme, "Latin Explosion." In 2010, the marching rams placed 3rd in Cavalcade of Bands Independence A Championships with their theme, "Carmen in Seville." In 2013, the marching rams placed 2nd in United States Scholastic Band Association New Jersey State Championships and National Championships with their theme, "I Believe."
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Todd Pae - Principal
- Buddy Micucci - Assistant Principal/Athletic Director
- Ryan Varga - Assistant Principal & Activities
- Data for Riverside High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Coppock, Kristen. "Delanco schools look to eliminate staff", Burlington County Times, March 24, 2010. Accessed February 13, 2011. "Students in grades nine to 12 attend Riverside High School under a sending agreement."
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 29, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 13, 2011.
- Top High Schools 201-316, New Jersey Monthly, September 2006, posted January 28, 2008. Accessed August 11, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- Riverside High School. Accessed April 7, 2008.
- Lloyd, Jack. "Barbra, Liza Sing Praises Of Jim Bailey He Specializes In Streisand And Garland, But Don't Call Him A Female Impersonator. He Prefers 'Character Actor.'", The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 27, 1995. Accessed November 26, 2013. "The entertainer, a native of West Philadelphia and graduate of Riverside High School in Burlington County, has played many of the world's great concert venues, including London's Palladium, New York's Carnegie Hall and Los Angeles' Dorothy Chandler Pavilion."
- Riverside High School
- Riverside School District
- Riverside School District's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Riverside School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Riverside HS