Rixton after performing at the Click 98.9 New Artist Showcase 8/19/2014.
|Also known as||Relics|
|Origin||London,England, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, pop rock|
|Labels||School Boy, Interscope|
Rixton are an English four member pop/R&B band from Manchester, England signed by Scooter Braun's SB Projects. The band was established in 2012 as Relics before changing their name to Rixton. Their debut single "Me and My Broken Heart" charted internationally.
Jake Roche and Danny Wilkin started writing together after they left school. Roche is the son of actor Shane Richie and former The Nolans member Coleen Nolan. They were later joined by Charley Bagnall through mutual friends and finally Lewi Morgan was the last addition to the band after meeting Jake through a girl he was seeing at the time. The band's initial fame was through cover releases posted on YouTube; in an interview with Metro, Roche divulged that they had performed a number of covers of songs – "stuff like Ignition and Thong Song" and then decided to do "a more personality driven cover". Roche had heard The Nolans – of which his mother was a member – performing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas when he was four and suggested that Rixton cover it. For this performance, Rixton wore "elf ears" and created what Roche called "more of a comedy sketch". Scooter Braun saw this and offered to sign Rixton. This is a source of frustration to Roche given that "...Christmas" was the video that "took the least time and money and when [Braun] saw [it, they] were four mates having a laugh" and that "[Rixton] put a lot of effort into doing covers and uploading them".
2013–present: Commercial breakthrough
The band attracted attention with "Make Out", a song that involved the members lampooning famous 2013 music videos such as "Stay" by Rihanna, "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus, "Roar" by Katy Perry, "Applause" by Lady Gaga, "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke and "Beauty and a Beat" by Justin Bieber. The video was released on 22 October 2013 but it was never released as an official single. The band's debut single, "Me and My Broken Heart", was released on 14 March 2014. "Me and My Broken Heart" was released to radio on 11 March 2014 and made its premiere on KIIS FM in Los Angeles during one of JoJo Wright's shows. It has charted in Australia, Sweden and the United States. "Me and My Broken Heart" went gold 27 May 2014 and Rixton was awarded their first gold plaque on 29 May 2014 in New York City. Their first extended play, also titled Me and My Broken Heart followed on 18 March 2014. An album is underway for release through School Boy/Giant Little Man/Mad Love/Interscope Records later in 2014. Justin Bieber joined the group on stage at the SXSW Festival on 10 March 2014. They are also lined up in mid-2014 to play summer festivals across the United States and United Kingdom before returning to North America to embark on their debut tour, The Broken Heart Tour, playing in 12 US and Canadian cities. In addition, they played a pop up gig in New York which required police attendance to control the crowds. They will open up for Ariana Grande on The Honeymoon Tour during the North American dates.
- Jake Roche – lead singer and rhythm guitarist
- Charley Bagnall – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Danny Wilkin – bass and keyboards, backing vocals
- Lewi Morgan – drums and occasional backing vocals
- Me and My Broken Heart (2014)
|2014||"Me and My Broken Heart"||43||17||84||91||33||1||14||6||
||Me and My Broken Heart|
|"Wait on Me"||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||33||Let The Road|
Awards and nominations
|2014||Rixton||Teen Choice Award for Choice Music Group||Nominated|
|2014||Me and My Broken Heart||Teen Choice Award for Choice Single Group||Nominated|
|2014||Rixton||Teen Choice Award for Choice Music: Breakout Group||Nominated|
|2014||Rixton||Teen Choice Award for Choice Summer Music Star: Group||Nominated|
- 2014: The Haunted Hathaways as themselves
- "SB Management". Scooter Braun. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "SB Management". Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- staff (27 March 2014). "New boy band alert! Meet The Wanted's replacement Rixton". Metro. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Artist to Watch Alumni". MTV. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "60 Seconds". Metro. 14 July 2014. p. 20.
- Garibaldi, Christina. "Rixton may not be naked in new video, but they're 'still a lot of fun'". MTV. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Rigby, Sam. "Rixton unveil video for debut single 'Me and My Broken Heart". Digital Spy. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Marquina, Sierra (26 March 2014). "Rixton Were ‘Surprised’ by Justin Bieber’s Appearance at SXSW". Ryan Seacrest.
- "This Week's Fresh Music Top 20". 15 June 2014. 4Music.
- Cooper, Diana. "You Won't Believe Who's Joining Ariana Grande On Her Upcoming Tour!". J-14. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Rixton has Joined Ariana Grande on the Honeymoon Tour". Fanlala. 19 September 2014.
- "British Band Rixton To Release Debut Album -- "Let The Road" -- January 6th On School Boy/Giant Little Man/Mad Love/Interscope Records". PR Newswire. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Rixton". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- "Rixton – Chart History: Billboard Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Rixton". French Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Rixton". Swedish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- "Rixton – Chart History: The Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Rixton – Chart History: Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Music Meeting for May 27, 2014 See & Hear What's Popular on Radio This Week; RIXTON "Me and My Broken Heart"". playiga.com. 27 May 2014.