Rixton Clay Pits
|Rixton Clay Pits|
Rixton Clay Pits
|Type||Local Nature Reserve, SSSI, SAC|
|Location||Hollins Green, Warrington|
|Area||32.4 hectares (80 acres)|
|Operated by||Warrington Borough Council|
Rixton Clay Pits (also known as Rixton Claypits) is a former clay extraction site in Rixton, near Hollins Green, Warrington, England. Formerly farmland, boulder clay extraction started in the 1920s for brick making in the adjacent brickworks, and ceased in 1965 - since when it has been allowed to return to nature. It is now an area of ponds, scrub, woodland and damp grassland. It is owned and managed by Warrington Borough Council as a local amenity.
Two large sections of Rixton Clay Pits, 15 hectares (37 acres) in total, are a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and a designated Special Area of Conservation, on account of its calcareous grassland communities and because it supports the largest breeding population of Great Crested Newts in Cheshire. The whole was established as a local nature reserve in 1996, and has waymarked paths and a visitor centre.
Fishing is permitted on the lake between the two sections of SSSI, and is controlled by the Warrington Anglers Association, the main stock being tench, bream and roach. Carp and pike are also present.
- "Rixton Claypits Nature Reserve". Hollins Green Comminity. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Ordnance Survey (Map). 1:25000. Explorer Series. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=368517&Y=390580&A=Y&Z=115. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Rixton Claypits Local Nature Reserve". Warrington Borough Council. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "History of Rixton Claypits". Warrington Borough Council. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Rixton Clay Pits". Joint Nature Conservation Committee. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "SSSI units for Rixton Clay Pits". Natural England. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Rixton Clay Pits". Warrington Angling Association. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Natural England SSSI citation for Rixton Clay Pits
- Natural England map of the Rixton Clay Pits SSSI
- Natural England map of the Rixton Clay Pits Local Nature Reserve
- Natural England details of Rixton Clay Pits LNR
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rixton Clay Pits.|
|This article about a Site of Special Scientific Interest in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|