Rizzo the Rat
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Rizzo the Rat|
|The Muppets character|
|First appearance||The Muppet Show|
|Created by||Jim Henson|
|Performed by||Steve Whitmire|
Rizzo first appeared in episode 418 of The Muppet Show, as one of a group of rats following Christopher Reeve around backstage. He can be seen mugging and reacting to practically every line of dialogue. He remained a scene-stealing background figure through the final season, occasionally performing with Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem.
After that he appeared in The Great Muppet Caper as a bellboy in a fleabag London hotel. He has appeared in most later Muppet projects, including The Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets Tonight. In The Muppet Christmas Carol, he developed a popular double act with Gonzo, which was continued in Muppet Treasure Island and in Muppets from Space. While formerly associated principally with Gonzo, he transitioned to being more often a sidekick to Pepe the King Prawn.
Rizzo is a streetwise rat with a New Jersey accent, 1274 brothers and sisters (as told to Gonzo in The Muppet Christmas Carol), and a self-proclaimed acrophobic. In Muppets From Space, as the spaceship lands, he panics to himself and mentions in his prayers that he's "always obeyed his mother" and that he "never carried the plague, not even once!"
Rizzo appears only as a background character in the 2011 film, The Muppets, with no speaking dialogue, although he is seen singing along during the finale, as well as the scene in which Kermit the Frog addresses a large crowd of Muppets. In Muppets Most Wanted (2014), he appears to decry his lack of screentime in the previous film, along with Kermit's nephew Robin.
- The Muppet Show (1980-1981)
- The Muppets Go to the Movies (1981)
- The Great Muppet Caper (1981)
- The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show (1982)
- Rocky Mountain Holiday (1983)
- The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)
- The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years (1986, background character)
- A Muppet Family Christmas (1987)
- The Jim Henson Hour (1989, background character)
- The Muppets at Walt Disney World (1990)
- The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson (1990)
- Muppet Vision 3D (1991, pre-show only)
- The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
- Muppet Classic Theater (1994)
- Muppet Treasure Island (1996)
- Muppets Tonight (1996-1998)
- Muppets from Space (1999)
- "Disneyland" (2001)
- It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002)
- Muppets Wizard of Oz (2005)
- Studio DC: Almost Live (2008)
- A Muppet Christmas: Letters to Santa (2008)
- The Muppets (2011, background character)
- Lady Gaga and the Muppets' Holiday Spectacular (2013)
- Muppets Most Wanted (2014)
- "Voice Of Rizzo the Rat". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- top-story (2009-01-01). "The Stories Behind 20 Muppet Favorites". Mental Floss. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- The Muppet Christmas Carol. "There are only two things... I hate: heights, and jumping from them"
|This puppet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|