Roane County, Tennessee
|Roane County, Tennessee|
Roane County Courthouse in Kingston, TN
Location in the state of Tennessee
Tennessee's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Archibald Roane|
395 sq mi (1,023 km²)
361 sq mi (935 km²)
34 sq mi (88 km²), 8.61%
150/sq mi (59/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Roane County is a county of the U.S. state of Tennessee. Its population was 54,181 at the 2010 United States census. Its county seat is at Kingston. The U.S. Census Bureau treats Roane County as the Harriman, Tennessee, Micropolitan Statistical Area, which is a component of the Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette, TN, Combined Statistical Area. Several movies have been filmed in Roane County, including Boys of Summerville, and October Sky.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 395 square miles (1,020 km2), of which 361 square miles (930 km2) is land and 34 square miles (88 km2) (8.61%) is water.
Adjacent Counties 
- Morgan County (north)
- Anderson County (northeast)
- Knox County (east)
- Loudon County (southeast)
- McMinn County (south)
- Meigs County and Rhea County (southwest)
- Cumberland County (west)
As of the census of 2010, there were 54,181 people, 22,376 households, and 15,450 families residing in the county. The population density was 150 people per square mile (59/km²). There were 25,716 housing units at an average density of 71 per square mile (28/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.4% White, 2.7% Black or African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.0003% Pacific Islander, 0.17% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races. 1.3% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 22,376 households out of which 23.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.8% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31% were non-families. 26.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the county, the population was spread out with 20.8% under the age of 18 and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44.9 years. For every 100 females there were 96.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.85 males.
As of the census of 2000, the median income for a household in the county was $33,226, and the median income for a family was $41,399. Males had a median income of $32,204 versus $22,439 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,456. About 10.30% of families and 13.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.80% of those under age 18 and 13.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns 
- Midtown (unincorporated)
- Oak Ridge
- Oliver Springs
- Ten Mile (unincorporated)
Former settlements 
See also 
- Jere Hall and Rachel Parker, "Roane County," Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. Retrieved: 21 March 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Roane County map, Tennessee Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- Based on 2000 census data
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Official site
- Roane County at the Open Directory Project
- Roane County News - Tri-weekly community newspaper covering Harriman, Kingston, Oliver Springs, Rockwood and Roane County, Tennessee
- The Roane Alliance - Roane County's umbrella economic development organization over both public and private organizations, including the Roane County Chamber of Commerce and others, each with a separate board and budget.
- Roane County Tennessee Family History Project - Provides scans and searchable transcriptions of old documents and books relating to history and genealogy of past or present Roane County families.
- Roane County, TNGenWeb - free genealogy resources for the county
- RoaneViews - Free community message boards for residents of Roane County, Tennessee.
||Morgan County||Anderson County|
|Cumberland County||Knox County|
|Rhea County and Meigs County||McMinn County||Loudon County|