April 1, 1959 |
El Monte, California
|Occupation||Makeup & special effects artist|
Robin R. Bottin (born April 1, 1959) is an American visual effects and makeup effects artist.
Early life 
Visual effects career 
From an early age he enjoyed a steady stream of old horror films, as well as magazines like Famous Monsters of Filmland.
At age 14, he submitted a series of illustrations to makeup artist Rick Baker, who promptly hired him. He worked with Baker on various films but his first big solo break was The Howling, where he was called to create an on screen transformation from man to werewolf. This managed to reach the theatres before his mentor's similar scene in An American Werewolf in London.
After begging cinematographer Dean Cundey to introduce him to director John Carpenter, Bottin was hired by Carpenter to create the special makeup effects for his 1980 film The Fog. Additionally, Bottin provided the physical makeup effects and had a small part in the film as Captain Blake.
From there, Bottin's reputation grew when he again worked with Carpenter on The Thing. Bottin worked on The Thing seven days a week (including late nights) for a year and five weeks straight, producing every creature effect (with the exception of the transformed dog, which was done by Stan Winston). Although his work was at first criticized for being too gruesome or distracting from the film's psychological themes, it has since been credited for actually enhancing the feel of the film. He later worked on the prosthetics and makeup effects in Ridley Scott's Legend, which earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Makeup.
- King Kong (1976)
- Piranha (1978)
- Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979)
- The Fog (1980)
- Tanya's Island (1980)
- The Howling (1981)
- The Thing (1982)
- Twilight Zone: The Movie (segment 3) (1983)
- Explorers (1985)
- Legend (1985)
- The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
- Innerspace (1987)
- RoboCop (1987)
- Total Recall (1990)
- RoboCop 2 (1990)
- Bugsy (1991)
- Basic Instinct (1992)
- RoboCop 3 (1993)
- Se7en (1995)
- Mission: Impossible (1996)
- Mimic (1997)
- Deep Rising (1998)
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
- Fight Club (1999)
- Mr. Deeds (2002)
- Serving Sara (2002)
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. At Ancestry.com
- Rob Bottin Biography (1959?-)
- The Morphing Artist: From Stop-Motion to CGI VFX HQ, May 1997.
- "The Thing Takes Shape", excerpts from the interview with Rob Bottin