Drake in 2012
May 24, 1969 |
|Height||5' 11" inches|
Drake was born in Indiana, Pennsylvania, and has worked in both Major Leagues since umpiring his first MLB game on September 3, 1999. Drake had previously worked in the Northwest, Midwest, Eastern, California and Pacific Coast leagues before reaching the MLB. Drake has also umpired winter baseball in the Dominican Republic, and worked during the inaugural World Baseball Classic in 2006. Drake has also worked MLB's All-Star Game (2013), Wild Card Game (2012, 2013), Division Series (2010) and League Championship Series (2012, 2013).
On August 2, 2011, Drake ejected St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina from a game against the Milwaukee Brewers. During the ensuing argument, Drake appeared to be hit by Molina's spittle. After the game, Molina said, "I would never spit on anybody's face." That comment notwithstanding, Molina was suspended for five games.
Drake was the third base umpire for Aníbal Sánchez's no-hitter on September 6, 2006. He was also the right field umpire for Roy Halladay's no-hitter in the 2010 NLDS, and was the second base umpire for Francisco Liriano's no-hitter in 2011.
He was chosen as one of the umpires for the one-game Wild Card playoff between the Atlanta Braves and the St. Louis Cardinals on October 5, 2012 and advanced to the 2012 ALCS less than two weeks later.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rob Drake.|
- "Rob Drake". Retrosheet.org. Retrosheet. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Rob Drake – 30". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Lance Berkman, Cards cut Brewers' Central lead after Yadier Molina is ejected". ESPN.com. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Yadier Molina suspended five games". espn.com. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Marlins rookie Sanchez throws majors' 1st no-no in 2 years ESPN.com. Retrieved 2 July 2012
- "May 3, 2011 Minnesota Twins at Chicago White Sox Box Score and Play by Play". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- Felix Hernandez throws perfect game, overpowers Rays ESPN.com. Retrieved 16 August 2012
- Tampa Bay Rays vs. Seattle Mariners - Box Score - August 15, 2012 ESPN.com. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- Umpires for Wild Card Games, Division Series announced Darling, Kellogg Will Serve As Crew Chiefs for Wild Card Games; Davis, DeMuth, Gorman and West Assigned to Lead Division Series Crews. MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2012.