|Born||January 16, 1962 (age 53)|
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Occupation||business executive - founder and CEO of RealNetworks|
|Net worth||490 million(as of 2010)|
|Spouse(s)||Sarah Block (wife #2, m. 2000)
Cori Durant (m. 2004)
Rob Glaser (born January 16, 1962) is the founder of RealNetworks (1994) which produces RealAudio, RealVideo, RealPlayer, and Helix, among other products and services. Before founding RealNetworks, he had become a millionaire by working for Microsoft for ten years.
Glaser, while Chief Executive of RealNetworks, clashed repeatedly with Tony Fadell, widely known as the Godfather of the iPhone and iPod, who then left the company after 6 weeks and went on to founding the products for Apple.
Glaser is a graduate of Yale University with an MA degree in Economics and a BS degree in Computer Science.
On June 16, 2004, Glaser received the Music Visionary Award, along with EMI Vice Chairman David Munns, from the Music for Youth Foundation, and the United Jewish Appeal.
Glaser was the 22nd largest individual donor to 527 groups in the 2004 US election, donating over $2.2 million to pro-Democratic organizations. He was the leading creditor to Air America Radio, loaning at least $9.8 million according to its bankruptcy filing. In addition, along with economist Jeffrey Sachs and public health expert Josh Ruxin, Glaser founded the Access Project, an NGO dedicated to improving health care in Rwanda by increasing management capacity at health centers.
- "Time Digital Top 50 (1999)". Time magazine. 1999. Retrieved 2008-10-06.[dead link]
- "'Rob Glaser' in "NNDB tracking the entire world"". Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Dave and Friends: Rob Glaser wedding reception". Retrieved September 23, 2009.
- "Godfather of iPod Severs Final Ties With Apple". The New York Times. March 29, 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "Top Individual Contributors to 527 Committees, 2004 Election Cycle". 2004. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- Free Fall Radio: Air America Goes Bankrupt
- Global HIV/AIDS Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- Accel Partners; Rob Glaser, Founder of RealNetworks, Joins Accel Partners. (2010, June). Chemicals & Chemistry,1222. Retrieved March 30, 2011, from Sciences Module. (Document ID: 2047918931).
- No. 41 Rob Glaser: Bit Streamer - Time Digital Top 50 (1999)
- Rob Glaser, Moving Target - interview by Randall Rothenberg writing for Wired Magazine (August, 1999)
- RealNetwork's CEO Rob Glaser - interview by Lance Ulanoff writing for PC Magazine (April 21, 2003)
- Can Glaser and Jobs find harmony? - interview by John Borland writing for c/net news.com (August 17, 2004)
- Free Fall Radio: Air America Goes Bankrupt - Page 3 of the Chapter 11 filing from The Smoking Gun (13 October 2006)
- Rethinking Mobile Data Plans - On the Hot Seat with Rob Glaser - interview by Sue Marek for FierceMobileContent (December 18, 2007)
- Big Audio Dynamite - biographical interview with Steve Homer in the Independent Newspaper (7 Feb 2000)