Klinkhammer in February 2015.
August 12, 1986 |
Lethbridge, AB, CAN
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||209 lb (95 kg; 14 st 13 lb)|
Robert Klinkhammer (born August 12, 1986) is a Canadian professional ice hockey left winger is currently playing for the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Klinkhammer has previously played in the NHL with the Chicago Blackhawks, Ottawa Senators, Arizona Coyotes and Pittsburgh Penguins organizations, making his NHL debut in 2010 with the Blackhawks.
Klinkhammer began his final season of major junior ice hockey in the Western Hockey League with the Seattle Thunderbirds, playing one game with the team before moving to finish his junior career with the Portland Winter Hawks and Brandon Wheat Kings, notching a junior career-best 33 goals, 40 assists for 73 points in 66 combined games. In 11 post-season games with Brandon, he had eight points after the Wheat Kings won the WHL's East Division Title.
Klinkhammer played his first professional season in 2007–08 with the Norfolk Admirals of the American Hockey League (AHL). He made his professional debut on October 19, 2007, against the Binghamton Senators, providing an assist. He then scored his first career professional goal on November 23 against the Springfield Falcons, adding two assists for the Admirals' 4–2 win.
On June 8, 2009, Klinkhammer signed as a free agent with the Rockford IceHogs, the AHL affiliate of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks, to a two-year, entry-level contract. Following an injury to Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane, Klinkhammer was recalled from Rockford to make his NHL debut on December 10, 2010, dressing for a home game win over the Dallas Stars. On July 11, 2011, Klinkhammer signed a one-year contract extension with Chicago.
On December 2, 2011, Klinkhammer was traded to the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2013. He reported to the Senators' AHL affiliate, the Binghamton Senators. He played in his second NHL game, and first with the Senators, on March 4, 2012, against the Florida Panthers. After the game, Ottawa Head Coach Paul MacLean was impressed, calling Klinkhammer "one of our best players."
On July 3, 2012, Klinkhammer signed as a free agent with the Phoenix Coyotes. With the 2012–13 NHL lockout in affect, however, he was assigned to the team's AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates. He scored his first career hat-trick October 23, 2012. When the lockout was resolved in January 2013, Klinkhammer remained with Portland, though he was eventually recalled to the Coyotes, later earning the nickname "The Colonel" after his surname's resemblance to the fictional character Colonel Klink's from the TV sitcom Hogan's Heroes.
On January 2, 2015, Klinkhammer and a first-round pick in 2015 were traded to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for David Perron. On January 6, Klinkhammer landed a blindside-hit on Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzén, causing the latter a severe concussion that ended his season. On February 20, Klinkhammer signed a one-year, $650,000 contract extension with the Oilers, keeping him with the organization through to the conclusion of the 2015–16 season. He finished the 2014–15 season with five goals and four assists from 69 games split between the Coyotes, Penguins and Oilers.
|2006–07||Portland Winter Hawks||WHL||37||23||19||42||70||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||28||10||21||31||29||11||4||4||8||22|
- "Blackhawks ink four prospects". Chicago Blackhawks. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- "Klinkhammer's dream comes true". ESPN. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Hawks sign Klinkhammer, Richards". ESPN. 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Bulletin: Senators acquire Rob Klinkhammer from Chicago in exchange for a conditional seventh round draft pick in 2013". Ottawa Senators. December 2, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "Out with Lehner, in with Bishop". Canoe.ca. 2012-03-04. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Rorabaugh, Seth (December 9, 2014). "Size a big part of Klinkhammer's game - 12-09-14". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- "Coyotes trade Klinkhammer, conditional fifth to Penguins for Samuelsson. Klinkhammer was traded again, this time to the Oilers along with a first round pick in 2015 in a deal for David Perron.". The Sports Network. 2014-12-05. Retrieved 2014-12-05.
- "Oilers send forward Perron to Penguins for Klinkhammer, first-round pick". CTV. 2015-01-02. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Wakiji, Dana (January 8, 2015). "Wings place Franzen on IR, recall Pulkkinen". Fox Sports. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- TSN Staff (February 20, 2015). "Oilers re-sign Klinkhammer, Hamilton". TSN. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- Cullen, Scott (April 24, 2015). "Off-Season Game Plan: Edmonton Oilers". TSN. Retrieved May 23, 2015.