Robbery Under Arms (1920 film)
|Robbery Under Arms|
|Directed by||Kenneth Brampton|
|Produced by||Pearson Tewksbury|
|Written by||Kenneth Brampton|
|Based on||novel by Rolf Boldrewood|
|Studio||Pacific Photo Plays|
|Distributed by||Union Theatres|
|Release dates||2 October 1920|
|Running time||5,200 feet|
Two brothers, Dick and Jim Marsden, become involved with the bushranger, Captain Starlight. They romance two girls, work on the goldfields, and are captured by the police after Starlight is shot dead.
- Kenneth Brampton as Captain Starlight
- S.A. Fitzgerald as Ben Marsden
- Roland Conway as Dick Marsden
- Cliff Pyatt as Jim Marsden
- Roy Redgrave as Dan Moran
- William Pearson as Sir Frederick Moranger
- Stuart MacRae as Inspector Goring
- Jackie Anderson as Warrigal
- Vera Archer as Jennie Morrison
- Betty Crook as Miss Falkland
- Hilda Dorrington as Kate Morrison
- Tien Hogue as Aileen Marsden
- Austral Nichol as Mrs. Knightley
- Wilton Power as George Storefield
- Phyllis Ruthven as Grace Storefield
- Sybil Shirley
- Nan Taylor as Mrs. Marsden
- H.D. Wise as Mr. Knightley
- Charles Chauvel
There had been several attempts to make films based on the Rolfe Boldrewood novel since the bushranging ban by the New South Wales government in 1912. In particular there were attempts by Stanley Crick in 1916 and Alfred Rolfe in 1918. However Kenneth Brampton managed to secure permission for this 1920 version, mostly likely because it stressed the moral lessons of the story.
Renowned horseman "Top" Hassall doubled for Brampton on the horse riding scenes.
Future director Charles Chauvel was working around the Sydney studios and attending to horses on the film. He has a bit part.
The movie was reportedly successful at the box office and grossed up to ₤16,000. However returns were so slow and the distributor and exhibitor took so much that Pearson Tewksbury was dissuaded from further film production.
- "DID YOU KNOW?.". The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld. : 1933 - 1954) (Brisbane, Qld.: National Library of Australia). 10 January 1947. p. 2. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Robbery Under Arms.". Sunday Times (Sydney, NSW : 1895 - 1930) (Sydney, NSW: National Library of Australia). 31 October 1920. p. 22. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Graham Shirley & Brian Adams, Australian Cinema: The First Eighty Years, Angus & Robertson, 1989 p 70-71
- Pearson Tewksbury at Australian Dictionary of Biography
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper, Australian Film 1900–1977: A Guide to Feature Film Production, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1998, 101.
- "EARL'S COURT.". Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1878 - 1954) (Rockhampton, Qld.: National Library of Australia). 15 January 1921. p. 10. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Sydney's Talking About.". The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) (NSW: National Library of Australia). 3 April 1947. p. 16. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Edmondson, Ray; Pike, Andrew (1982). "Australia's Lost Films". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- Robbery Under Arms at the Internet Movie Database
- Robbery Under Arms is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more]
- Robbery Under Arms (1920) at National Film and Sound Archive