Erlin with the San Diego Padres
|San Diego Padres – No. 41|
October 8, 1990 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Left|
|April 30, 2013 for the San Diego Padres|
(through May 17, 2014)
|Earned run average||4.31|
High school career
Erlin attended Scotts Valley High School in Scotts Valley, California, where he played for the school's baseball team. In 2009, his senior year, he was named Santa Cruz County's Player of the Year. He committed to attend California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) on a baseball scholarship.
The Texas Rangers selected Erlin in the third round of the 2009 MLB Draft. Erlin signed, bypassing the scholarship with Cal Poly. Erlin spent 2010 in Class-A ball and split 2011 between High-A and Double-A. Texas traded Erlin along with fellow Double-A pitcher Joe Wieland to the Padres for reliever Mike Adams at the non-waiver trade deadline on July 31, 2011.
Erlin was placed with the Double-A San Antonio Missions to finish the 2011 season, where he had a 1.38 ERA in six starts. He opened the 2012 season with San Antonio, but strained his elbow and developed tendinitis, making his last start for the team on May 12. He rehabbed the elbow late in the season with the Arizona Rookie League, and then pitched in the Arizona Fall League. Erlin joined the Tucson Padres of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League for the 2013 season. He shuttled back and forth between Tucson and the Major League team, posting an 8-3 record and 5.07 ERA in 20 games with Tucson.
San Diego Padres
Erlin was promoted to the Major Leagues on April 24, and made two appearances in relief before he was optioned back to Tucson on May 2. Erlin was recalled on June 1 for his first Major League start against the Toronto Blue Jays. Erlin won the first decision of his career in that start as the Padres defeated the Blue Jays, 4–3. He was optioned back to Tucson on June 2. Erlin was promoted for a third stint on June 26 to take the rotation spot of Clayton Richard, who went to the disabled list. Erlin was roughed up in successive starts in Boston and Washington in July, unable to get through the fifth inning in either start, and was optioned back to Tucson on July 8. Erlin was recalled late in the season to take the rotation spot of Edinson Volquez. He fared better in his final stint of 2013, not allowing more than two runs in any of his five starts to finish the season. For the year, he went 3–3 with a 4.12 ERA with the Major League club.
Erlin has an average fastball in the 88–90 mph range, but he is able to contrast it with an outstanding curveball and above-average changeup. He will also mix in cutters and sliders to give hitters a different look.
- Seimas, Jim (February 18, 2013). "Robbie Erlin gets call-up from MLB's San Diego Padres". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- "Robert Erlin Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights". MiLB.com. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Center, Bill (July 31, 2011). "Padres trade Adams, Ludwick; keep Bell, Harang". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on August 1, 2011.
- Center, Bill (August 4, 2012). "Rehabbing Kelly, Erlin pitching in Arizona Rookie League". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Sickels, John (April 25, 2013). "Prospect of the Day: Robbie Erlin, LHP, San Diego Padres". SBNation. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Seimas, Jim (March 13, 2013). "Scotts Valley's Robbie Erlin makes Triple-A debut". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- "Padres call up lefty prospect Erlin, option Weber". MLB.com. April 24, 2013. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- "Padres recall LHP Robbie Erlin and LHP Tommy Layne from Triple-A Tucson and place RHP Huston Street on 15-day DL". San Diego Padres. June 1, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Padres recall RHP Brad Boxberger from Triple-A Tucson; option LHP Robbie Erlin to Triple-A Tucson". MLB.com. June 2, 2013. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- Center, Bill (June 25, 2013). "Erlin promoted to fill void in rotation". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Seimas, Jim (October 23, 2013). "Scotts Valley's Robbie Erlin reflects on rookie season in MLB". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Brock, Corey (August 27, 2013). "Erlin to take Volquez's spot in rotation". MLB.com. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)