|Birth name||Robert S. Nevil|
|Born||October 2, 1960|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, funk, dance|
|Years active||As performer: 1986–1991
As songwriter/producer: 1983–present
Robert S. "Robbie" Nevil (born October 2, 1958, Los Angeles, California) is an American pop singer, songwriter, producer and guitarist. He is perhaps best known for his 1986 Billboard Hot 100 #2 hit, "C'est La Vie".
Life and career
Nevil began playing guitar at age eleven and played in a series of cover bands. He began performing his original music and signed a publishing deal in 1983, writing songs for the Pointer Sisters, El DeBarge, and Earth, Wind & Fire.
In 1986, he obtained his first recording contract, signing with Manhattan Records, for whom he recorded his debut album with the producers Alex Sadkin and Phil Thornalley. His debut single "C'est La Vie" reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100, propelling the album into the Top 40 on both the US pop and Billboard R&B chart. His second single "Dominoes" hit #14 on the Hot 100 and #22 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart, while the third single "Wot's It To Ya" peaked at #10 on the Hot 100 and Dance Club/Play charts, and #69 on the R&B chart.
In 1988, Nevil released his second album, A Place Like This (#118), and hit the Top 40 a fourth time, with the single "Back On Holiday" (#34). A second single, "Somebody Like You", failed to build on that success, peaking at #63.
In 1991, Nevil's third album, Day 1, was released to fewer sales, with lead single "For Your Mind" stalling at #86. The second single release, "Just Like You", became his biggest hit since 1987, and his fifth and final Top 40 single, peaking at #25 on the Hot 100.
Nevil turned to writing and producing for acts such as Babyface, Jessica Simpson and Destiny's Child. In 2006, he collaborated with Matthew Gerrard on the Smash Mouth album Summer Girl. Gerrard had been writing for Disney for some time and their work led to a partnership working on Disney projects including The Cheetah Girls, High School Musical, and Hannah Montana franchises.
Robbie Nevil is brother to the actor Alex Nevil.
- "C'est La Vie" (1986) #2 US, #3 UK, #4 Aus
- "Dominoes" (1987) #14 US, # 26 UK, #38 Aus
- "Wot's It To Ya" (1987) #10 US, #43 UK
- "Back On Holiday" (1988) #34 US
- "Somebody Like You" (1989) #63 US
- "For Your Mind" (1991) #86 US
- "Just Like You" (1991) #25 US, #3 Aus
- "Partners in Crime" (1992) #62 Aus
- "I'll Be There For You" (1996) (duet with Seiko Matsuda) #35 JP
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the U.S. dance chart
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 390. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.