Robbinsville High School (North Carolina)
|Robbinsville High School|
|301 Sweetwater Rd
Robbinsville, NC 28771
Robbinsville, North Carolina
|School district||Graham County Schools|
|NCES School ID||370177000734|
|Assistant principals||Tonia Walsh|
|Teaching staff||29.44 (FTE)|
|Color(s)||Black and white|
|Athletics conference||Smoky Mountain|
For the 2010–2011 school year, Gates County Senior High School had a total population of 384 students and 29.44 teachers on a (FTE) basis. The student population had a gender ratio of 51.86% male to 48.14% female. The demographic group makeup of the student population was: White, 85.94%; American Indian, 11.72%; Hispanic, 1.56%; Black, 0%; and Asian/Pacific Islander, 0% (two or more races, 0.78%). For the same school year, 48.70% of the students received free or reduced-cost lunches.
The origins of Robbinsville High School begin in the early 1900s. In 1924, the school was relocated into what is known as The Old Rock Building. The school building housed all grades including high school grades until the 1966–67 school year when it was split into separate high, middle and elementary schools.
In 1987, Stecoah High School in the eastern part of Graham County, closed. The high school portion was then merged into Robbinsville High.
According to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association, for the 2012–2013 school year, Robbinsville High is a 1A school in the Smoky Mountain Conference. The Robbinsville mascot is the Black Knights, wearing the school colors of black and white.
The school offers teams in a variety of sports: baseball, boy's and girl's basketball (varsity and JV), cross country, football, softball, track and field, volleyball, and wrestling. The Black Knights' football team has won ten state championships in the A/1A classes, the last being in 1992.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Robbinsville High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "History of Education in Graham County". Graham County Centennial. GrahamCounty.net. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Tiny Senior Class is School's Last". The Lexington Dispatch. AP. June 2, 1987. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "NCHSAA CONFERENCES 2012–13" (PDF). NCHSAA website. NCHSAA. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Robbinsville High School (NC)". MaxPreps. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Sports Zone". Robbinsville High School website. Graham County Schools. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Robbinsville Football Year-by-Year Results". MaxPreps. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Rose, Zelerie (February 18, 2010). "New Robbinsville High principal looks to future". The Graham Star. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "RHS Admin. Departments". Robbinsville High School website. Graham County Schools. Retrieved January 30, 2013.