Robert A. Schuller
|Robert A. Schuller|
|Born||Robert Anthony Schuller
October 7, 1954
Blue Island, Illinois, United States
(Reformed Church in America)
Robert Anthony Schuller (born October 7, 1954) is an American televangelist, author, and television executive. He was formerly a minister on the Hour of Power weekly television program broadcast from the Crystal Cathedral in Orange County, California, where he was named senior pastor in 2006.
An ordained minister, Schuller is the only son of Crystal Cathedral founders Robert H. Schuller and Arvella Schuller. He is the best-selling author of Getting Through the going Through Stage, Dump Your Hang Up's, Possibility Living and the New York Times best seller Walking in Your Own Shoes. He was the senior pastor of the Hour of Power and the Crystal Cathedral for nearly three years, from January 2006 to November 2008. According to the Hour of Power website, he resigned as senior pastor on November 29, 2008. He continues his ministry with Robert Schuller Ministries and is also chairman of Comstar Media Fund, a media investment company, and the Coalition for American Renewal.
Life and ministry
Schuller was born in Blue Island, Illinois and raised in Garden Grove, California until 3rd Grade, when his family moved to Santa Ana where he attended Santa Ana High School. He then graduated in 1976 from Hope College in Holland, Michigan, with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts. He was also employed at the Crystal Cathedral, leading worship services on Sunday evenings, developing a 24-hour prayer group and organizing small group fellowships and appearing on the Hour of Power reading scripture and occasionally preaching. In 1980, Schuller became an ordained minister in the Reformed Church in America, after receiving a Master of Divinity degree from Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. He received an honorary doctorate degree from National Hispanic University in San Jose, California in 1996. He received another honorary doctorate from the California Graduate School of Theology in 2008.
Schuller has four grown children and one granddaughter and one grandson. He lives in Newport Beach, California. His oldest son, Bobby Schuller, is a graduate of Oral Roberts University, as well as having a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree from Fuller Theological Seminary. Bobby Schuller is teaching pastor of the Tree of Life Community, an interdenominational church in Orange, California. His youngest daughter, Christina, graduated from the University of Southern California as a theater major in 2008. She is an actress, and a fitness instructor. She was a cast member during the first season of Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County. Another daughter, Angie, is also a graduate of Oral Roberts University. She holds a graduate degree in counseling. His youngest son, Anthony is a senior at Vanguard University of Southern California and he plans on going into international mission work after his graduation. Schuller's first marriage ended in divorce in 1983 and he married his current wife, Donna, on November 10, 1984.
In 1981, Schuller founded Rancho Capistrano Community Church in San Juan Capistrano, California, where he served as senior pastor for over 20 years. He also founded the Rancho Capistrano Conference Center in 1981. In 1992, he established the Rancho Capistrano School, offering pre-school, elementary school and middle school.
In 1987, he raised $250,000 to rebuild La Carbonera, Mexico, which was heavily damaged by Hurricane Gilbert. He has taken more than 3,000 people on pilgrimages to the Holy Land. He continues to partner with several non-profit/charitable organizations which help people worldwide.
From 1995 to 2000, Schuller also hosted a one-hour live coast to coast radio show, which gained popularity. The program revolved around health and wellness and featured a number of guest stars, including Larry King, Robert Atkins, and Elizabeth Dole.
From 1976 to 2008 he was seen regularly on the Hour of Power program. Following his father's retirement as senior pastor in 2006, the consistory of the Crystal Cathedral voted to approve him as the new senior pastor (his father continued to serve on the board of the Hour of Power). From 2006 through 2008 the Hour of Power had over 25 million viewers worldwide, making it the number one watched religious show and making him the most listened to orator in the world.
On October 25, 2008, his father announced that Schuller had been removed from the Hour of Power television program, citing "a lack of shared vision". In a prepared statement, founder Robert H. Schuller stated that "different ideas as to the direction and the vision for this ministry" with his son "made it necessary... to part ways in the Hour of Power television ministry". It was subsequently announced on November 29, 2008, that Schuller had resigned from his position as Senior Pastor of the Crystal Cathedral.
On April 8, 2009, it was reported that Schuller would be launching his own television and internet business. Schuller is a pastor emeritus at Tree of Life Community Church, a church founded by the merging of Serrano Hills Community Church and The Gathering Church (founded by Schuller's son, Robert V. "Bobby" Schuller). Schuller is also involved in Bobby Schuller's "St. Patrick Project", a community outreach ministry.
In 2009, Schuller became chairman of Comstar Media Fund, a media investment company. Comstar owns several media companies including cable television networks FamilyNet and American Life TV. In 2011 American Life TV was rebranded into YouToo Social TV. Only July 9, 2011 Schuller launched the Robert Schuller Ministries. www.schullerministries.org
Like his father, Schuller emphasizes the teaching of "positive Christianity", sometimes called "positive gospel" (not to be confused with the Prosperity Gospel). It is argued in some schools of theological thought that doing so overemphasizes grace over holiness.
However, where his father's preaching tends to be heavier on psychological reference and lighter on scriptural reference, Schuller's messages rely considerably on scriptural reference, hermeneutics, and apologetics, making the role of "positivism" secondary and more in line with mainstream evangelicalism.
- Schuller, Robert A, ed. (1981), Life Changers, F.H. Revell.
- Schuller, Robert A, ed. (1984), Be an Extra Ordinary Person in an Ordinary World, F.H. Revell.
- ——— (1986), Getting Through the Going Through Stage, Thomas Nelson.
- ——— (1987), Power to Grow Beyond Yourself, F.H. Revell.
- ——— (1988), World’s Greatest Comebacks, Thomas Nelson.
- ——— (1989), Strength for the Fragile Spirit, Thomas Nelson.
- ——— (1990), Just Because You’re on a Roll… Doesn’t Mean You’re going Down Hill, F.H. Revell.
- ——— (1993), Dump Your Hang-Ups: Without Dumping Them on Others, F.H. Revell.
- ——— (1995), What Happens to Good People When Bad things Happen to Them, F.H. Revell.
- ——— (1997), In Search of Morality, F.H. Revell.
- ——— (2000), Possibility Living, Harper San Francisco.
- ——— (2007), Walking in your own Shoes, Faith Word.
- ——— (2007), Gods Answer for Your Physical, Financial and Spiritual Health, Hour of Power.
- ——— (2008), Power for Life Bible, Thomas Nelson.
- ——— (2008), Where Jesus Walked, Hour of Power.
- ——— (2009), Leaning into God When Life is Pushing You Away, Faith Word.
- ——— (2012), When You’re Down to Nothing, God is up to Something, Faith Word.
- "'Hour of Power' Preacher Removed by Father". News (Fox). 2008-10-26. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- "About Robert A. Schuller". Crystal Cathedral. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- "Notable evangelical preachers who divorced". The Tampa Tribune. 2007-08-24. Retrieved 2008-04-16.[dead link]
- Schuller, Robert H (2008-10-26). "America’s Television Church ― The Church of Tomorrow" (news release). Crystal Cathedral. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- "Robert Anthony Schuller Steps Down as Senior Pastor of Crystal Cathedral Congregation" (press release). Crystal Cathedral. November 29, 2008. Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- Bharath, Deepa. "Crystal Cathedral founder's son will start own TV and Web ministry" (news release). Orange County Register. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
((Category:New York Times Best Selling Author))