Robert Andrew Allison
Allison was the son of Joseph Allison of Eden Morent Carlisle and his wife Jane Andrew. He was educated at Rugby School and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was a director of the Midland Railway. In 1885, he was elected as MP for Eskdale and held the seat until 1900. He was J.P. and Deputy Lieutenant for Cumberland and was High Sheriff of Cumberland in 1908. He was knighted in 1910.
Allison was the author of several works including
- Essays and Addresses 1913
- Belgium in History 1914
- Cicero in Old Age 1916
- Translations into English Verse ..Greek Anthology 1922
Allison lived at Scaleby Hall, Carlisle, where he died at the age of 87.
Allison married Laura Alicia Milner Atkinson in 1867 as his first wife.
- Debretts Guide to the House of Commons 1886
- "Allison, Robert Andrew (ALY856RA)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Hansard Millbank SYstems – Robert Allison
- New General Catalog of Old Books and Authors – Author names starting with Alf – Aln
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
East Cumberland constituency
West Cumberland constituency
|Member of Parliament for Eskdale
|This article about a Liberal Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|