Robert Balchin, Baron Lingfield
He previously served as Director-General of St. John Ambulance from 1984 to 1990 and was chairman of the Grant-Maintained Schools Centre (formerly Foundation) from 1989 until 1999. He has been Chairman of the Centre for Education Management (now CEFM) since 1995.
Knighted in 1993, becoming styled Sir Robert Balchin, he was raised to the peerage as a Life Peer on 17 December 2010 as Baron Lingfield, of Lingfield in the County of Surrey. He was Knight Principal (chairman of the Knights' Council) of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor 2006-12, and serves as Honorary Colonel of Humberside and South Yorkshire ACF since 2004. A Freeman of the City of London, he is also a liveryman of the Goldsmiths' and Broderers' companies.
His schools initiative was proclaimed by The Daily Telegraph's deputy editor, Benedict Brogan, as: "[being the] first and, as time passes, perhaps the most important legislative milestone achieved by the Coalition".
- - Life Peer as Baron Lingfield, of Lingfield, in the County of Surrey (created 17 December 2010)
- - Knight Bachelor (1993)
- - Knight of Justice, Order of St John (1984)
- - Commander, pro Merito Melitensi (1987)
- - Knight Grand Cross, Royal Order of Francis I (2014)
- - Knight Grand Cross, Order of the Eagle (2014)
- Debrett's People of Today
- "www.thePeerage.com". The Peerage website.
- Information on Dod's website
- Who's Who 2015
Sir Richard Gaskell
of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor
Sir Colin Berry