Robert Banks (filmmaker)
|Born||Robert C. Banks, Jr.
1966 (age 47–48)
Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
Robert C. Banks, Jr. (born 1966) is an American experimental filmmaker.
His best known work is the 1992 film, X: The Baby Cinema, a 4.5 minute, 16 mm short film which chronicled the commercial appropriation of the image of Malcolm X. The movie appeared on the compilation video The Best Of The New York Underground:Year One.
Banks has had his films shown at the Sundance Film Festival, was named Filmmaker of the Year at the Midwest Filmmakers Conference, and in 2000, he was the honored guest filmmaker in London at the BBC British Short Film Festival.
Banks lives in Cleveland, Ohio.
Banks has made some of his works freely available for downloading. See external links section for details.
- (1989) Untitled (16 mm)
- (1990) Froggy Central (16 mm)
- (1992) Eyes (16 mm)
- (1993) X The Baby Cinema (16 mm)
- (1994) My First Drug....The Idiot Box (16 mm)
- (1996) You Can't Get a Piece of Mind (16 mm)
- (1997) MPG: Motion Picture Genocide (35 mm)
- (1998) Jaded (35 mm)
- (1999) Outlet (35 mm)
- (1999) Embryonic (35 mm)
- (1999) Gold Fish Sunflowers (35 mm)
- (1999) Bone Face (35 mm)
- (1999) Love Rusty (8 mm/16 mm/35 mm)
- (2000) Rage Against the Dying Light
- (2002) Autopilot
- (2003) The Devil's Filmmaker: Bohica (cinematographer only)
- (2004) A.W.O.L. (35 mm)
- (2004) Banks vs. Barney (parody of Matthew Barney's Cremaster)
- (2006) Cordoba Nights (A.K.A. 'A Corboba in Bronston') Directed by Luke and Andy Campbell-(16 mm) (co-director of photography only)
- Filmmaker of the Year (2001), Midwest Filmmakers Conference
- Jury Citation Award for Outlet, Black Mariah Film Festival
- Prize Pieces Award, National Black Programming Consortium
- Best Experimental for X-The Baby Cinema (1993), The First NY Underground Film Festival
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Robert Banks (filmmaker)|
- Robert C. Banks at the Internet Movie Database
- Article: Cleveland Scene
- Interview: CoolCleveland
- Interview: Angle Magazine
- Interview: Columbus Alive
- Bio: Instructor page at Cleveland State University
- Bio: Indie Gathering
- Bio: Cleveland Entertainment Conference
- Bio: Moovlab
- Festival: 13th Annual BBC British Short Film Festival
- Festival: 2001 retrospective at Chicago Underground Film Festival
- Downloads at OpenSewer -- "Outlet", "Motion Picture Genocide", "Jaded", "Femme Fatale"
- Downloads at Insound -- "MPG--Motion Picture Genocide" and "X-The Baby Cinema"
- 1031 Films, Cleveland, OH