Coello with the Toronto Blue Jays
San Francisco Giants
November 23, 1984 |
Bayonne, New Jersey
|September 6, 2010 for the Boston Red Sox|
(through June 4, 2013)
|Earned run average||4.62|
Robert Coello (//; born November 23, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is with the San Francisco Giants organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Boston Red Sox, Toronto Blue Jays and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Coello attended Lake Region High School in Eagle Lake, Florida and Northwest Florida State College. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 20th round of the 2004 Major League Baseball Draft. He then played for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Arizona League team in 2007.
Boston Red Sox
After playing for Edmonton of the independent Golden Baseball League in 2008, he signed with the Boston Red Sox organization for the 2009 season. Coello made his major league debut September 2010 with Boston and had a 4.76 ERA in six relief outings. He was designated for assignment by the Red Sox on February 9, 2011. In three minor league seasons he posted a record of 13-10 with a 2.91 ERA.
Toronto Blue Jays
On December 9, 2011, Coello signed a minor league contract with the Toronto Blue Jays. He spent most of 2012 pitching for the Blue Jays' Triple-A affiliate, going 4-1 with a 3.00 ERA in 19 games (three starts). He was placed on the 40-man roster on May 31, 2012. He made six appearances for the Blue Jays in 2012, giving up 12 earned runs in 12 innings. On October 9, the Blue Jays reinstated Coello from the 60-day disabled list, and outrighted him off their 40-man roster. According to the Jays transaction page, Coello refused the assignment and elected free agency.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
On January 28, 2013, he was signed a to a Minor League contract with an invitation to big league Spring Training by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was outrighted off the roster on October 8, 2013.
New York Yankees
Coello signed a minor league deal with the New York Yankees on January 8, 2014. He opted out of his deal on July 2, 2014.
On July 11th, Coello signed a minor league deal with the Baltimore Orioles.
- Forde, Craig (September 5, 2010). "Red Sox call up Coello - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog". Boston.com. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Cubs Designate Robert Coello For Assignment, MLBTradeRumors.com, May 27, 2011.
- "Blue Jays take Lind off 40-man roster to make room for Coello". Tsn.ca. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- 10/09/2012 4:00 PM ET (March 27, 2014). "Blue Jays outright Coello | bluejays.com: News". Toronto.bluejays.mlb.com. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Angels add right-hander Robert Coello on Minor League deal | angels.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. January 28, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Passan, Jeff (May 28, 2013). "Angels pitcher Robert Coello's mystery pitch leaves hitters muttering under their breath - Yahoo Sports". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved April 1, 2014.