|Judge of the Pennsylvania Superior Court|
March 20, 2006 – January 6, 2010
|Preceded by||Edmund B. Spaeth Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Anne Lazarus|
|Judge of the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas|
January 1, 1998 – March 17, 2006
|17th District Attorney of Allegheny County|
January 5, 1976 – January 1, 1998
|Preceded by||John Hickton|
|Succeeded by||Stephen Zappala|
|16th Pittsburgh Police Chief|
February 10, 1971 – March 1, 1975
|Preceded by||Stephen Joyce|
|Succeeded by||Robert Coll|
|Alma mater||Duquesne University
Duquesne University School of Law
|Profession||Attorney, politician, police officer|
|Years of service||1960-1975
|Rank|| - Chief
1971 – 1975
1969 – 1971
1961 – 1969
Robert E. Colville is a Democratic politician and attorney from Pennsylvania.
After graduating from North Catholic High School in 1953, Colville joined the Marines. He later attended Duquesne University, where he obtained his BA in 1963. Colville then returned to North Catholic, where he was a teacher, and the school's head football coach.
While Chief in 1974 he started the department on testing for promotions.
Political and legal career
He was the Allegheny County District Attorney from 1976, when he defeated incumbent John Hickton, until 1998. Colville contemplated a run for the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in 1981. In 1997, he was elected to the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, and in 2006, he was appointed to the Pennsylvania Superior Court.
- "Colville, Robert E. 'Bob'". Biographies. Our Campaigns. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- Warner, David (February 28, 1975). "Pete Names Coll City Police Chief". The Pittsburgh Press. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Hickton, Colville Set To Debate at Forum". The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. May 15, 1975. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Political Power To Change Hands Here On Monday". The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. January 3, 1976. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Report: Juror feared 'outside pressures'". The Observer-Reporter. December 15, 1997. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Colville To Superior Court". The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. March 16, 2006. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
|Allegheny County District Attorney
1976 – 1998
|Pittsburgh Police Chief
1971 – 1975