Robert Davies (footballer, born 1861)
|Full name||Robert Davies|
|Date of birth||1861|
|Place of birth||Wrexham, Wales|
|Date of death||Not known|
|1879–1881||Civil Service, Wrexham|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Robert Davies (also known as "Bob Pugh") (born 1861) was a Welsh footballer who played as a forward for various clubs in Wrexham in the 1880s and 1890s. He also made three appearances for Wales, all against Ireland.
Davies was born in Wrexham and started his career with the Wrexham Civil Service Club before joining Wrexham in 1881. Described as "a slightly built individual with much natural ability" who was "full of attacking instinct" and possessed a "very accurate shot". He was a superb dribbler who regularly won dribbling competitions; despite this he was a keen advocate of the combination game and helped introduce this into Wrexham in place of the individualism that was still prevalent there until the 1880s.
His first international appearance came on 17 March 1883, when he was selected to play against Ireland; the match ended with the scores level with one goal each. Davies retained his place for the next match, eleven months later, also against Ireland in Wales's first match in the inaugural British Home Championship; Wales won comfortably putting six goals past the Irish, with no reply. Davies was not selected again until April 1885, when he failed to score in an 8–2 victory over the hapless Irish.
Davies made three appearances for Wales in international matches, as follows:
|17 March 1883||Ulster Ground, Belfast||Ireland||1–1||0||Friendly|
|9 February 1884||Racecourse Ground, Wrexham||Ireland||6–0||0||British Home Championship|
|11 April 1885||Ulster Ground, Belfast||Ireland||8–2||0||British Home Championship|
- Welsh Cup winners: 1883
- Welsh Cup finalists: 1890
- Davies, Gareth; Garland, Ian (1991). Who's Who of Welsh International Soccer Players. Bridge Books. p. 42. ISBN 1-872424-11-2.
- "Wrexham 1 – 0 Druids". Welsh Cup Final 1883. Welsh Football Data Archive. 21 April 1883. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Chirk 1 – 0 Wrexham". Welsh Cup Final 1883. Welsh Football Data Archive. 19 April 1890. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Ireland 1 – 1 Wales". Welsh Football Data Archive. 17 March 1883. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Wales 6 – 0 Ireland". Welsh Football Data Archive. 9 February 1884. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Ireland 2 – 8 Wales". Welsh Football Data Archive. 11 April 1885. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- Samuel, Bill (2009). The Complete Wales FC 1876-2008. Soccer Books. pp. 7–8. ISBN 1-86223-176-1.
- Wales score first