DeLong performing at SXSW in 2014
|Birth name||Robert Charles Edward DeLong|
|Born||February 18, 1986|
|Origin||Bothell, Washington, USA|
|Genres||Indie Dance, electronica, EDM, moombahton|
|Instruments||Keyboards, drums, vocals|
Robert Charles Edward DeLong (born February 18, 1986) is an American electronic musician from Bothell, Washington. With a background in drums and influences from a number of indie rock bands, DeLong's primary genres include house, electronica, EDM, and moombahton. He has released two albums on Glassnote Records: an EP, Global Concepts, in 2012 and Just Movement in 2013. DeLong's new EP entitled "Long Way Down" was released on November 10, 2014.
DeLong grew up in the Seattle suburb of Bothell. His father was a drummer. Robert played in various bands while he was in high school. He studied drums at Azusa Pacific University, partially supported by a scholarship. While in college, he played in the band The Denouement and settled in Los Angeles after graduation. His equipment and clothing feature an orange "X" logo; this same logo, or a variant of it, is often painted on his face and those of his fans.
DeLong started as a drummer for indie rock bands but added more electronic elements to his compositions following his exposure to their use at raves. DeLong is notable for using video-game peripherals, such as a Wii remote and a joystick, connected to a MIDI interface, to modify his sound. He cites as influences Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, and Boards of Canada, among others. He released his first full-length album, Just Movement, on Glassnote Records on 5 February 2013. His sound has been described by Wired Magazine as a merger of "electronic dance music, alt rock, and vocals into tracks that are poppy enough to make you move but dissonant enough to be interesting."
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
- Global Concepts (2012) #33 Billboard Alternative Songs
- Long Way Down (2014) #3 Billboard Alternative Songs
- "Off Stage: Robert DeLong". Leveled Magazine. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Robert DeLong on Just Movement". ASCAP. 5 February 2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- Alk, Nell (5 February 2013). "Robert DeLong is an EDM Artist on the Rise". BlackBook Magazine. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- McCarthy, Zel (1 February 2013). "Robert DeLong, 'Just Movement': Exclusive Album Premiere". Billboard Magazine. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Robert DeLong Unplugged – Digilove Exclusive Interview". 4 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Bain, Katie (5 February 2013). "Robert DeLong: Deep Thoughts on the Dance Floor". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Paul Michael Roberts Memorial". Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Collier, Kevin (28 June 2012). "Azusa’s Best: Robert DeLong, Scott Ryan and Johanna Chase". Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "The Denoueblog". Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Neyland, Nick (10 December 2012). "Robert DeLong: Going Global". CMJ. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- Capps, Rob (15 March 2013). "Robert DeLong Knows the Cheat Code to Make You Dance". Wired Magazine. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Robert DeLong – Chart History: Dance/Electronic Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 1, 2015.
- Official Robert DeLong website
- Robert DeLong on Twitter
- Robert DeLong on Myspace
- Robert DeLong at AllMusic
- Robert DeLong on Facebook
- Robert DeLong's channel on YouTube
- Robert DeLong on Glassnote Records
|This article about an American musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|