Robert L. DuPont, M.D. (born March 25, 1936 in Toledo, Ohio) is a national leader in marijuana prohibition, drug policy and treatment. He was the first Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) from 1973 to 1978 and was the second White House Drug Czar from 1973 to 1977 under former Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. In 1978 Dr. DuPont became the founding President of the Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc. In 1982 he and Peter B. Bensinger founded Bensinger, DuPont & Associates, a national consulting firm. Dr. DuPont is a Fellow of the American Society of Addiction Medicine and a Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He was the founding president of the Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) and currently maintains a psychiatric practice in Maryland specializing in addiction and anxiety disorders.
In 1958 Dr. DuPont earned his BA from Emory University and in 1963 earned his M.D. from Harvard Medical School. He completed training at Harvard and the National Institutes of Health. He worked for the District of Columbia Department of Corrections and in 1970 for the DC Narcotics Treatment Administration. Since 1980 he has been a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Georgetown University School of Medicine.
Published books from Hazelden  include The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction, Drug Testing in Treatment Settings, Drug Testing in Schools, and Drug Testing in Correctional Settings.
- Biography of Robert L. DuPont, MD, Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc. http://ibhinc.org/biorld.html
- Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc. www.ibhinc.org
- Bensinger, DuPont & Associates www.bensingerdupont.com
- American Society of Addiction Medicine. ASAM Fellows. Accessed November 6, 2009 http://www.asam.org/FellowList.html
- DuPont Clinical Research http://www.dupontclinicalresearch.com/
- PBS Frontline: Drug Wars. Interview with Dr. Robert DuPont 2000. Accessed November 6, 2009 http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/drugs/interviews/dupont.html
- Hazelden published works by Robert L. DuPont http://www.hazelden.org/OA_HTML/hazAuthor.jsp?author_id=156&item=8064
- ISBN 1-56838-363-0
- ISBN 978-1-59285-179-9
- ISBN 1-59285-180-0
- ISBN 1-59285-181-9
- Former DEA Chiefs May Profit From Illegal Pot, Critics Say http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/03/08/former-dea-chiefs-may-profit-from-illegal-pot-critics-say/
- "Why Marijuana is the Most Dangerous Drug". Retrieved 24 January 2014.