Robert E. Lee High School (Midland, Texas)
|Robert E. Lee High School|
|3500 Neely Ave
Midland, TX, 79707
|School district||Midland ISD|
|Enrollment||2,907 (incl 9th grade)|
|Color(s)||Maroon, Gray & White|
|Athletics conference||District 2-5A|
Robert E. Lee High School, also known as Midland Lee, is a public, co-educational secondary school in Midland, Texas. Lee High School is a part of the Midland Independent School District. Lee Freshman High School is the 9th grade campus that feeds into Lee High School. It was built in 1961.
The Robert E. Lee Senior High School campus houses sophomores through seniors, while freshmen are housed on a separated campus called "Robert E. Lee Freshman High School." The feeder system for this high school includes Alamo and Abell Junior High Schools, and includes, but is not limited to, the following elementary schools: Jones, Greathouse, Scarborough, Rusk, Parker, Fannin, Bowie, Crocket, Burnet, and Bonham. The hours of attendance for Lee High School are 8:30-3:55.
Our alma mater hail, To you, we sing our praise. Maroon and white our colors, we'll love throughout our days! To the Rebels, we will be true. We pledge ourselves a-new-to-you Our memories we'll cherish... Robert E Lee!
Lee High School follows a traditional curriculum, with the main focus of standardized testing aimed towards the TAKS test. However, students are encouraged to take the PSAT their junior year and SATs their senior year, with SAT IIs, APs, and ACT tests falling significantly behind in number of students involved.
The highest level (or senior year) classes available are: Math: AP BC Calculus | History: AP US Government | English: AP English Literature and AP English Language| Science: AP Physics | Computer Science: AP Computer Science | Languages: AP Spanish Literature (or Spanish V/VI), French IV, and Latin III. | GPA is determined on a weighted 6.0 scale, with Honors/GT and AP classes weighted the same, Advanced classes weighted less, and General courses weighted the least. Upon request, Lee will calculate a student's GPA on a traditional 4.0 scale- a requirement of most out of state schools.
Required Courses: Lee High School requires its students to complete PE credits, Arts credits, take a speech class, a government class, and a health class. As per the state of Texas, all health classes taught are taught abstinence only. Students are encouraged to sign abstinence pledges in 8th grade "Study Skills" classes as well as in tenth grade during an out-of-class presentation.
Seven vocal ensembles make up the program at LHS, and many of the members are outstanding student leaders, athletes and scholars. The concert season includes traditional concerts, a staged and choreographed musical revue, and an annual Renaissance Madrigal Dinner. Every other year Chorale travels out-of-state or overseas on a concert tour. Previous tours have included Austria/Germany, New York City, the British Isles, Washington, D.C., The Annual Linz Invitational Choral Festival and most recently an encore concert tour of New York City.
Other performing art ensembles include the Lee High School Orchestra and the Lee High School "Mighty Rebel" Band.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
Midland Lee has fielded successful varsity and junior varsity sports teams in football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, swimming, diving, tennis, and golf. Midland Lee competes in UIL district 3-5A. Lee High School's athletics program follows UIL policies, and enforces all of its participating students to be passing all of their classes in order for them to compete in any athletic event.
- Trey Atwater, green beret charged with attempting to board a flight with explosives
- Laura Bush, former First Lady - Graduated in 1964
- Andy Fickman
- General Tommy Franks, retired General in the United States Army and former Commander of the U.S. Central Command
- Tommy Lee Jones, actor and director
- Junior Miller, National Football League tight end *Pro Bowl: 80' 81'
- Randy Velarde, former MLB player.
- Rex Tucker, National Football League offensive guard
- Ryan Tucker, National Football League offensive tackle *Super Bowl XXXIV Champion
- Allen Wilson, Texas state championship-winning high school football coach
- Cedric Benson, National Football League running back
- Michael L. Williams, former member of the Texas Railroad Commission and 2012 congressional candidate
- Eddie Livingston, American Rock drummer
- Eric Winston, National Football League offensive tackle
- Austin Ligon, Co-Founder and Former CEO, CarMax, Inc. (1965–66)
- Robb Helt, Trial Technology Consultant and Lead Trial Consultant for Halliburton in the BP Oil Spill case, 1993
- Charlie Lacy, 1984 True Value PBA National Tour Open
- Tyrone Thurman, All-American Texas Tech football player
- "History and research." George W. Bush Childhood Home.
- "Laura Welch Bush." Encyclopædia Britannica
- Temple, Georgia. "She's the man." Midland Reporter-Telegram. March 17, 2006. Retrieved on February 5, 2011. "Fickman is a former Midlander having graduated from Lee High School"