Robert E. Lee High School (Montgomery, Alabama)
|Robert E. Lee High School|
"Ne incautus futurei"
"Let us not be unconcerned about the future"
|225 Ann Street
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Montgomery Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red & White|
In January 1953, the Montgomery Board of Education purchased 12 acres (49,000 m2) of property on Ann Street for $74,000 for a new high school. The new school would alleviate overcrowding at Sidney Lanier High School and accommodate children coming to Montgomery due to Maxwell and Gunter Air Force Bases. The final cost of the new facility was nearly $1.25 million.
Lee High School opened to students for the first time on September 6, 1955. The new school had 35 faculty members and approximately 800 students. Most of the 232 juniors and 173 seniors entering Lee were transfers from Lanier, and some 354 sophomores moved up from area junior high schools. Lee's first graduating class consisted of 144 students.
An auditorium was added in 1963. The guidance office, lunchroom, and library were enlarged and the math wing and mini-gym were added during the 1970s. By 1979 rooms were air conditioned, after students and teachers raised the necessary $80,000. In 1992, the library underwent extensive renovation and the entire school received a new roof. In 1997, land behind Lee formerly occupied by apartments was donated to the school, and in 2000 the space was completely paved to provide parking. In the summer of 2002, the entire school system was networked and wired with fiber optic cable to provide better and faster internet and network capabilities. Fine arts at the school have grown. The fine arts program includes drama which perform plays in the Auditorium, Art, Debate, and Choral .
Lee High School started teaching 9th graders in the 2010/2011 school year. Lee high School has the wall of fame where names of prominent alumni have graduated. They are continuing their tradition of excellence in the school as well as in the community. Robert E. Lee High School's motto is The pursuit of continuous excellence.
The Lee Generals represent the school in ASHAA sporting competitions. During the 2005–2006 and 2007–2008 school years the Lee Cheerleaders won the Cheersport National Championship. The current football coach is Larry Ware, a former Lee football player. The current boys' varsity basketball coach is Bryant Johnson, a former guard for the Troy University Trojans.
- Baseball: 1975
- Boys' Cross Country: 1967
- Football: 1958, 1959, 1960, 1969, 1970, 1986, 1991, 1992
- Boys' golf: 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1974
- Boys' indoor track: 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1978, 1979, 1980
- Boys' outdoor track: 1961, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1978, 1979, 1980
- Girls' outdoor track: 1981
- Wrestling: 1957, 1978, 1980, 1984, 1992
- Brian Bass, Minnesota Twins baseball player
- Fred Beasley, former Auburn University football player and NFL player
- Clint Compton, Former MLB player (Chicago Cubs)
- Fred Weary, former University of Tennessee football player and NFL player
- Antoine Caldwell, former University of Alabama football player and current NFL player (Houston Texans)
- Tommy Shaw, from Styx
- Trevis Smith, former University of Alabama football player and CFL player
- Eric Motley, public administrator