Robert E. Lee High School (Tyler, Texas)
|Robert E. Lee High School|
|411 E Southeast Loop 323
Tyler, Texas, 75701-9699
|Motto||The sun that sets may never rise but Raider spirit never dies!|
|School district||Tyler Independent School District|
|Color(s)||Red and White|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class 6A|
|Newspaper||Southern Accent |
|Website||Robert E. Lee High School|
Robert E. Lee High School is one of two Tyler Independent School District high school campuses in the city of Tyler, Texas, the other being John Tyler High School. RE Lee High School has served the East Texas community since opening in 1958 and classified as a 6A school by the UIL. In 2013, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
In the 1960s, when Lee's mascot was the Rebel, the school was famous for its working cannon and oversized Confederate flag. A group of seniors tended the cannon at games, firing it when the Rebel football team scored a touchdown. The football team entered Rose Stadium by running under the flag, reputed to be the second largest Confederate flag in the world (second only to one owned by the University of Mississippi). By 1972, the flag was retired and its whereabouts are unknown. The cannon, retired in 1986, is now the property of Brook Hill High School in Bullard, Texas.
As of the 2007-2008 school year, the student body consisted of
- 45.5% White (Non-Hispanic)
- 35.0% African American
- 17.6% Hispanic
- 1.8% Asian/Pacific Islander
- ~0.5% Native American
Robert E. Lee High School offers a variety of Pre-AP and AP-level courses, as well as Career Technology Education programs and Fine Arts electives. Lee implemented the International Baccalaureate program in the Fall of 2008.
As of 2014, Robert E. Lee High School is classified as a 6A school in District 11 along with many Garland and Rockwall Schools. The Robert E. Lee Red Raiders compete in a variety of sports including Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, Tennis, Powerlifting, Track, Swimming, Cross Country, and is most well known for the Tyler Lee Football Team.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
- Nelson Clyde, III, Class of 1962, late publisher of Tyler Morning Telegraph
- Corey Mayfield, Class of 1988, 3yr Starter at Oklahoma, San Fran 49r's, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jacksonville Jaguars
- Sandy Duncan, Class of 1965, actress
- Alex Finlayson, Class of 1969, playwright and journalist
- Dale Dudley, Class of 1979, radio personality (Dudley and Bob) at KLBJ-FM Austin, Texas, Film Actor, Magazine Columnist.
- Joffrey Reynolds, Class of 1997, running back for the Calgary Stampeders
- Matt Flynn, Class of 2003, quarterback for the Green Bay Packers
- Brandon Pettigrew, Class of 2004, tight end for the Detroit Lions
- Ciron Black, Class of 2005, former tackle for the Louisiana State University Tigers
- Texas Tribune
- Southern Accent
- "2013 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency.
- UIL Football Archives
- UIL Boys Golf Archives
- UIL Team Tennis Archives