Robert Evans (politician)
|Robert John Emlyn Evans|
|Evans in Pakistan|
|Member of the European Parliament
London North West (1994–1999)
9 June 1994 – 10 June 2009
|Preceded by||Lord Bethell|
|Succeeded by||Position abolished|
23 October 1956 |
Ashford, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Robert John Emlyn Evans (born on 23 October 1956 in Ashford, then in Middlesex, now in Surrey) was a Member of the European Parliament for the Labour and Co-operative Parties, representing London from 1994–2009. He was originally elected to the European Parliament for London North West in 1994, having previously stood unsuccessfully in 1989. In November 2012 he was Labour candidate for Police and Crime Commissioner in Surrey. On 2 May 2013 he was elected Surrey County Councillor for Stanwell and Stanwell Moor.
Robert Evans was educated at Ashford County Grammar School before gaining a BEd and MA from the Institute of Education, University of London. He then became a teacher and, at the time of his election to the European Parliament, he was head of a Junior School in Hounslow.
He sat with the Socialist Group and sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Transport and Tourism. His main achievement was to create a new Europe-wide law to outlaw discrimination against disabled passengers when travelling by air. He was a substitute for the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs, Chair of the Delegation for relations with the countries of South Asia and was also closely involved with Romania and Moldova. From 1999–2004 he was Vice-Chairman of the Committee on Citizens' Freedoms and Rights, Justice and Home Affairs. From 2004 to 2007 he was Chairman of the European Parliamentary Labour Party.
Evans was an election observer for the European Parliament, and was Chair of the mission to observe the Pakistan elections in 2008 and EU Chief Observer to Cambodia in 2003.
Evans announced in November 2008 that he would not be seeking re-election to the European Parliament in 2009. He has since been an independent consultant and freelance advisor to various MPs, to CAMS College in Hayes, and with his special expertise in Bangladesh to the charities BRAC and London Tigers, /
Robert Evans is a Vice President of the League Against Cruel Sports, a trustee of BRAC-UK, a Life Member of Ashford Cricket Club, and a long standing member of Ashford Middlesex Hockey Club.
- http://electionsdashboard.surreycc.gov.uk/results.aspx?eldiv=63. Missing or empty
- "EU assesses Pakistan's poll positively". People's Daily. 21 February 2008. Retrieved 2010-03-28.
- Hall, Sarah (20 September 2003). "All smiles as Lib Dems take seat Labour could not lose". London: guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-03-28.
- "Robert Evans MEP". Brunel University. Retrieved 2009-12-16.[dead link]
- Robert Evans (Twitter account)
- Official website of Robert Evans www.robertevansmep.net
- European Parliament biography of Robert Evans (incl. Speeches, Questions and Motions)
- Party of European Socialists
- European Parliamentary Labour Party
- The Labour Party