Robert Gallagher (born 1969 in Kensington, England) is an award winning commercial and editorial photographer currently based in Los Angeles, California.
Gallagher attended the Newcastle School of Art and Design, inspired by the work of W. Eugene Smith, Don McCullin, Eamonn McCabe, Walter Loos and Richard Avedon's portrait work, particularly "In the American West".
Gallagher's work has been published in national and international magazines including Time, Vogue, Sports Illustrated, Newsweek, People, Empire, Q, The Times, The Face and The Guardian Weekend magazine. His commercial clients include Reebok, Canon, Mazda, Merrill Lynch and Vivendi Universal and he has also photographed advertising campaigns for Pepsi and Gatorade. Robert Gallagher has portraited world leaders, politicians and celebrities such as HRH Prince Charles, Nancy Pelosi, Sidney Poitier, Tony Bennett, Clint Eastwood, Penélope Cruz, Jamie Cullum and Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner from the Twilight films.
He has also covered significant subjects such as the hurricane Katrina survivors and the 9/11 rescue workers. In December 2001, just two months after September 11, his first solo exhibition 'Ground Hero- Portraits of September 11' was profiled live by ABC News, during the charity opening night.
Gallagher's portraiture is included in the archives of The National Portrait Gallery in London .
Awards and Professional accomplishments
- Honorable Mention; International Photography Awards (Editorial-Personality) (2009)
- Honorable Mention; International Photography Awards (Fine-art portrait) (2006)
- Honorable Mention; International Photography Awards (Editorial photo-essay )(2005)
- Honorable Mention; International Photography Awards (Editorial sports) (2005)
- Guest Editor/ Judge; Redism.com Worldwide Art Competition (2002)
- Winner; Hunters Armley Creative Photography Competition (1989)
- Mentor; Venice- Arts Photographic Project (2004,2005)
- Mentor; Woodcraft Rangers, South Central L.A. High School photographic project (2003)
- Joel Stein (May 9, 2008). "Martial Arting With David Mamet". Time. Retrieved November 28, 2009.
- "Tony Romo... earning his spurs" -Sports Illustrated magazine, Oct 18 2007 "It's ladies' fight"-TIME magazine,Jul 18 2007; "A Mother's Choice"- TIME magazine,Sep 25 2006; "Smashing Success" Sports Illustrated magazine pp. 42. Sep 18 2006; "Anybody knows not to mess with me"- TIME magazine, pp. 30. Sep 4 2006; "It's all in the swoop"- TIME magazine pp. 58-59. Aug 7 2006; "NFL replay"- Sports Illustrated magazine,Jul 19 2006