Robert Griffiths (politician)
|Robert Griffiths (politician)|
|Robert Griffiths in 2011|
|General Secretary of the Communist Party of Britain|
1 January 1998
|Preceded by||Mike Hicks|
|Welsh Socialist Republican Movement|
|Preceded by||New position|
|Succeeded by||Position Ended|
|Born||Robert David Griffiths
June 1952 (age 62)
|Political party||Communist Party|
|Plaid Cymru (1974-78)
Communist Party of Great Britain (until 1988)
Griffiths was born in Cardiff where he attended Bryn Hafod primary school and Cardiff High School. Employed as Plaid Cymru research officer from 1974 until 1979, he published Socialism for the Welsh People with Gareth Miles in July 1979. In January 1980 he was involved in founding the Welsh Socialist Republican Movement. He has also previously served as Welsh president of the AUEW-TASS union.
Griffiths was a speaker at the first Communist University in Wales, and he speaks regularly at national Communist Party events. He has also taken part in debates at the Oxford Union, Cambridge Union Society and Manchester Debating Union. In February 2013, Griffiths was among those who gave their support to the People's Assembly in a letter published by The Guardian newspaper. He continues to be an active supporter of the People's Assembly nationally and is also active in his local People's Assembly in Cardiff.
- S.O. Davies - a socialist faith. Llandysul: Gomer. 1983. ISBN 0850888875. OL 3242844M.
- Socialism for the Welsh People [Sosialaeth i'r Cymry]. Cardiff: Y Faner Goch. 1979. ASIN B0018TWNI4. OCLC 656712405.
- Was Gramsci a Eurocommunist?. Cardiff Marxist Forum. 1985.
- Streic! Streic! Streic!. Gwasg Taf. 1986. ASIN B005E2SMGI. ISBN 0948469021. OL 4826101W.
- Driven by ideals - a history of ASLEF. 2005. ASIN B001C72MGU.
- Killing no murder: South Wales and the Great Railway Strike of 1911. Manifesto Press. 2009. ASIN 1907464018. ISBN 978190746401-0.
- Which Road for China?. 2011. ISBN 9781908315076.
- Britain Needs Public Ownership. Morning Star. 2012.
- Granite and Honey. Manifesto Press. 2012. ISBN 9781907464096.
In the 1994 election, he stood on behalf of the Communist Party in the single-member South Wales Central constituency, winning 1,073 votes or 0.6% of the total. Later on, in the 2009 election, he stood as part of the No2EU electoral list in the multi-member Wales constituency, which won 8,600 votes or 1.3% of the total.
UK Parliament elections
All these elections were contested on behalf of the Communist Party.
|2010||Cardiff South and Penarth||196||0.4|
|2012||Cardiff South and Penarth||213||1.1|
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS.
- von der Burg, Edmund (2010). "Rob Griffiths". YourNextMP. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013.
- "The Political Situation in Britain". New Worker. New Communist Party of Britain. April 1988. Archived from the original on 13 February 2013.
- Clement, Barrie (22 February 1988). "'Star' strike marks Marx anniversary". the Independent. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012.
- "For a people's MP". Election Leaflets. Cardiff. 17 April 2010.
- "Sosialaeth i'r Cymry". Gweriniaeth y Gweithiwr. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Mann, Steve (April 1980). "Review of Gareth Miles and Robert Griffiths' Socialism for the Welsh People". Socialist Challenge. Archived from the original on 25 June 2013.
- Ellis, Peter (1985). the Celtic revolution: a study in anti-imperialism. Talybont: Y Lolfa. pp. 93–95. ASIN 0862430968. ISBN 9780862430962. OL 1812565W.
- Dominic, MacAskill. "the Communist Party Election Site". Welsh Communist Party. Archived from the original on 20 November 2008.
- Don't dream the American Dream (video). Oxford Union. 1 March 2013.
- "Oxford Union debate rejects the American Dream". 21centurymanifesto. 24 January 2013. Archived from the original on 24 October 2013.
- Socialism does work (video). Oxford Union. 28 November 2013.
- This House Believes Capitalism Has Failed (video). Cambridge Union Society. 4 October 2012.
- "Cambridge Union debate". Cambridge Communists. 9 October 2012. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013.
- Taylor, Millia (11 October 2013). "Never take financial advice from someone who has less money than you". the Tab Manchester. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013.
- "People's Assembly Against Austerity opening letter". the Guardian. 5 February 2013. p. 33.
- Parry-Jones, Bryn (7 June 2009). "Election for the European Parliament electoral region of Wales" (PDF). Pembrokeshire County Council.
- Kimber, Richard (22 October 2012). "Pontypridd". General Election result, May 1997. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012.
- Kimber, Richard (22 October 2012). "Newport East". General Election result, June 2001. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012.
- "Results for Pontypridd". the Electoral Commission.
- "Results for Cardiff South and Penarth". the Electoral Commission.
- "Communists to contest Cardiff South and Penarth by-election". Welsh Communist Party. 23 July 2012. Archived from the original on 1 August 2012.
- Keane, Kristofer. "Cardiff South and Penarth, 2012".
- Teale, Andrew. "Y Sblot". Local Elections 2008. Local Elections Archive Project. Archived from the original on 13 May 2012.
|Party political offices|
|General Secretary of the Communist Party of Britain||Succeeded by
|Leader of the WSRM||Succeeded by