|Robert Hugh Ferrell
May 8, 1921 |
||U.S. foreign relations
||Bowling Green State University, Yale University
||Samuel Flagg Bemis
||Reginald Horsman, Theodore A. Wilson, Arnold A. Offner, Thomas H. Buckley, William A. Kammen, Frank J. Merli, Eugene P. Trani, J. Garry Clifford, Terry H. Anderson, James Goode, Richard W. Fanning
Robert Hugh Ferrell (born May 8, 1921, in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American historian and author of several books on Harry S. Truman and the diplomatic history of the United States. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during the Second World War and was an intelligence analyst in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War. He received a B.S. in Education from Bowling Green State University in 1946 and a PhD from Yale University in 1951, where he worked under the direction of Samuel Flagg Bemis and his dissertation won the John Addison Porter Prize.
He taught for many years at Indiana University in Bloomington, starting as an Assistant Professor in 1953 and rising to Distinguished Professor of History in 1974. He has made several notable visiting professorships, including Yale University in 1955 and the Naval War College in 1974. During his career, he supervised thirty-five PhD. students from 1961 to 1988.
- Peace in Their Time: The Origins of the Kellogg-Briand Pact (1952)
- American Diplomacy in the Great Depression: Hoover-Stimson Foreign Policy, 1929-1933 (1957)
- American Secretaries of State and Their Diplomacy volumes 11-19 (1958-1980)
- Frank B. Kellogg (1963)
- Off the Record: The Private Papers of Harry S. Truman (1980)
- The Eisenhower Diaries (1981)
- Harry S. Truman and the Modern American Presidency (1983)
- Dear Bess: The Letters from Harry to Bess Truman, 1910-1959 (1983)
- Truman: A Centenary Remembrance, 1884-1972 (1984)
- Woodrow Wilson and World War I, 1917-1921 (New American Nation Series) (1986)
- Fighting Soldier: The AEF in 1918 (1986)
- American Diplomacy: The Twentieth Century (1987)
- Truman in the White House: The Diary of Eben A. Ayers (1991)
- Choosing Truman: The Democratic Convention of 1944 (1994)
- Harry S. Truman: A Life (1994)
- The Strange Deaths of President Harding (1996)
- Ill-Advised: Presidential Health and Public Trust (1996)
- The Decision to Drop the Atomic Bomb: Truman and the Bomb, a Documentary History
- The Presidency of Calvin Coolidge (1998)
- American Diplomacy: The Twentieth Century (1999)
- The Kansas City Investigation: Pendergast's Downfall, 1938-1939 (1999)
- A Youth in the Meuse-Argonne: A Memoir, 1917-1918 (2000)
- The Autobiography of Harry S. Truman (2002)
- Collapse at Meuse-Argonne: The Failure of the Missouri-Kansas Division (2004).
- Ferrell, Robert H. "A Tale of Two Archives". In Thomas Mainwaring. Topic: The Washington & Jefferson College Review 53 (A Festschrift for Professor Walter S. Sanderlin). ISSN 0049-4127.
- The United States in 1800 (2004)
- Trench Knives and Mustard Gas: With the 42nd Rainbow Division in France (C. A. Brannen Series, No. 6) (2004)
- Five Days in October: The Lost Battalion of World War I (2005)
- Harry S.Truman and the Cold War revisionists (2006)
- Argonne Days in World War I (2007)
- ^ Historical Register of Yale University, 1937-1951 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1952), p. 80.
- ^ "Robert H. Ferrell's Ph.D. Students," in J. Garry Clifford and Theodore A. Wilson, eds., Presidents, Diplomats, and Other Mortals: Essays Honoring Robert H. Ferrell (Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2007): 327-329.
- Ashbrook Center
- Contemporary Authors New Revision Series vol. 22, 1988.
- J. Garry Clifford and Theodore A. Wilson, eds., Presidents, Diplomats, and Other Mortals: Essays Honoring Robert H. Ferrell (Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2007).
External links