He has published thirteen books of poetry. Most recently, "Goldfish and Rose" (2013);Into the Punch Line: Poems 1984-1994 (1994), The German Lunatic (2000), and Calls from the Outside World (2006). His work has appeared in the American Poetry Review, Poetry Northwest, the World, Michigan Quarterly, Ploughshares, and The Nation, among many others.
He is also the recipient of various awards, including two creative writing fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts. He worked as the executive director of the Print Center and is a co-editor of Hanging Loose Press and Hanging Loose magazine in Brooklyn, NY. He has edited various collections, including Smart Like Me and Shooting the Rat, collections of High School writing.
He lives in Brooklyn, NY, with his wife Donna Brook. He has two grown children, Elizabeth and Jed.
- Into a Punchline: Poems 1984-1994. Hanging Loose Press (1994)
- The German Lunatic. Hanging Loose Press (2000)
- Calls from the Outside World. Hanging Loose Press (2006)
- "Goldfish and Rose," Hanging Loose Press (2013)
- Calls from the Outside World by Robert Hershon. Hanging Loose Press: Brooklyn, NY 2006