Robert H. Hewsen
|Fields||Ancient Armenia, Medieval Armenia|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University|
|Doctoral advisor||Cyril Toumanoff|
|Known for||Armenia: A Historical Atlas|
Hewsen, who is of Armenian descent, was born in New York City in 1934. He spent seven years in Europe with the US Air Force and studying. He received his B.A. in history from the University of Maryland and his Ph.D. from Georgetown University in 1967. The same year he joined the history department of Rowan University, where he taught Byzantine and Russian history for more than 30 years. After retiring from Rowan University in July 1999, Professor Hewsen lectured at University of Chicago, Columbia University, California State University, Fresno and University of California, Los Angeles.
Professor Hewsen is also the co-founder and president of the Society for the Study of Caucasia.
Hewsen has written a multitude of books and articles on the history of the Caucasus, especially Armenia. Professor Hewsen's most recent publication is Armenia: A Historical Atlas (University of Chicago Press, 2001).
- Robert H. Hewsenian, The Legend of Akhtamar (A Ballad) (pp. 64–66), The Armenian Review, VOLUME 12, Number 2, Summer 1959
- Robert H. Hewsen, The Autumn Glossary (pp. 90–93), The Armenian Review, VOLUME 13, Number 3, Autumn 1960
- Robert H. Hewsen. Ethno-history and the Armenian influence upon the Caucasian Albanians. Classical Armenian culture: Influence and creativity, Scholars press, Philadelphia, 1982
- Robert H. Hewsen. Science in Seventh-Century Armenia: Ananias of Širak, Isis, vol. 59, No. 1, (Spring, 1968), pp. 32–45. (English)
- Robert H. Hewsen. Anatolia and Historical Concepts // The California Institute for Ancient Studies, a Velikovskian site
- Robert H. Hewsen. "The Kingdom of Arc'ax" in Medieval Armenian Culture (University of Pennsylvania Armenian Texts and Studies). Thomas J. Samuelian and Michael E. Stone (eds.) Chico, California: Scholars Press, 1984
- Robert H. Hewsen. Armenia: A Historical Atlas. — University of Chicago Press, 2001. — 341 p. — ISBN 0-226-33228-4, ISBN 978-0-226-33228-4
- Thomas De Waal. Black Garden: Armenia and Azerbaijan through Peace and War. New York: New York University Press, 2003, p. 156 ISBN 0-8147-1945-7
- Biographical note in Ararat magazine, 1961
- California State University, Fresno Armenian Studies Program. News of Members.
- University of Chicago Press. Hewsen, Robert H. Armenia: A Historical Atlas.
- The Armenian Review, VOLUME 12, Number 2, Summer 1959
- Robert H. Hewsen Appointed Henry S. Khanzadian Kazan Visiting Professor for Fall 2001 at Fresno State.