Robert Irving (rugby league)
|Full name||Robert A. Irving|
|Born||15 February 1948
|Died||18 April 1999 (aged 51)
|Source: rugbyleagueproject.org englandrl.co.uk|
Robert "Bob" A. Irving (15 February 1948 — 18 April 1999) born in Castle Hill, Huddersfield, was an English professional Rugby League World Cup winning footballer of the 1960s and '70s. A Great Britain and England international, and Yorkshire representative Second-row, he played at club level for Oldham, Wigan, Salford, Barrow, Blackpool Borough, and Swinton during the era of contested scrums, he died in Blackpool.
Irving was signed by Oldham from Huddersfield's amateur side St. Joseph's at 16 years of age and within weeks was playing in the first team.
Irving won caps for England while at Wigan in the 1975 Rugby League World Cup against Wales, France, and Australia, and won caps for Great Britain while at Oldham in 1967 against France (2 matches), and Australia (3 matches), in 1970 against Australia (sub), and New Zealand, in 1971 against New Zealand, in 1972 against France (sub), and in the 1972 Rugby League World Cup against New Zealand, and Australia (sub).
County Cup final appearances
Honoured at Oldham
Robert Irving is an Oldham Hall Of Fame Inductee.
Outside of rugby league
Irving was a hotelier in Blackpool, and studied for a degree, becoming a senior lecturer in business studies at Blackpool and The Fylde College. He was active in the Catholic Church, and undertook charity work in his spare time, regularly manning a soup kitchen for homeless and displaced people. He died aged 51, in 1999, following a heart attack.
The "Tracking down the heroes of 1972" reference misstates his year of death as 2002, it was 1999. The "Obituary: Bob Irving at independent.co.uk" reference misstates his month of birth as December, it was February.
- Hughes, Ed (31 October 2004). "Caught in Time: Great Britain prepare for 1972 rugby league World Cup final". The Sunday Times (UK: Times Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Oldham Hall of Fame". orl-heritagetrust.org.uk. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Tracking down the heroes of 1972". bbc. 22 October 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Obituary: Bob Irving at independent.co.uk". independent.co.uk. 27 April 1999. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- When Great Britain won the World Cup
- Statistics at wigan.rlfans.com
- Tracking down the heroes of 1972
- Oldham Hall of Fame
- Statistics at orl-heritagetrust.org.uk
- Obituary: Bob Irving at independent.co.uk